• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Starter generator

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
displayname
James R Thompson
I have replaced the battery on my 126. cranked and runs fine, next day started it and moved it to my trailer and switched it off but the starter generator still is trying to start the engine with the switch off. this happens and burns up the voltage regulator. replaced it and the starter solenoid, connected the battery and it still tries to start with the switch off. I need help. new switch did not help. I don't understand where the voltage is coming from to make the started think it needs to start with the switch off

Stuck contact in voltage regulator or shorted wire some where.

I did replace with a new voltage regulator and same thing happened to me. Ended up that the new voltage regulators are wired differently.

Try tapping on the voltage regulator with the butt of a screwdriver or something. It sounds like the points inside may be sticking.

James ,when you replaced batt did you pull cable from sol? Unhook the sol trip wire to see if it still does it...It is possible for a sol to stick in start position...(rare).....wiring diagram and patience !! Normal a sol can't trip unless it's fed 12v thru the small post from the switch.You said you replaced switch so that's where I would start to analyze ....vr reg next but 12v has to be coming into sol post to activate s/g...

I bet you have the "GEN" terminal on the back of the regulator connected to ground.
The new VR has three terminals ( F, BAT and L ) and one on the back, not marked
VR - F to F on the Generator
VR - BAT to Amp gauge
VR - L to A on the generator
VR - back terminal to Gnd
old VR has F, GEN and BAT with ground on the side, I assumed L ( on the new VR ) was for GEN or A terminal on the generator
All help is much appreciated

James ,when you replaced batt did you pull cable from sol? Unhook the sol trip wire to see if it still does it...It is possible for a sol to stick in start position...(rare).....wiring diagram and patience !! Normal a sol can't trip unless it's fed 12v thru the small post from the switch.You said you replaced switch so that's where I would start to analyze ....vr reg next but 12v has to be coming into sol post to activate s/g...
I replaced the sol

It's grounded via mounting "feet" to chassis.

Attachments

• VR_4_Terminal.jpg
    VR_4_Terminal.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would still take off the cover and make sure it didn't weld the contacts together.

Check the FAQ, there is a way to test if the issue is generator or reglator/wiring. IIRC, BRIEFLY short the small terminal of the starter- regulator to ground while running. If it loads down (Guage will show max charge), you know that the regulator or wiring is bad. If it doesn't, starter- generator is not charging. (Most common problem). If it does show charging, use a long jumper wire to parallel the connection between the generator terminal and the corresponding terminal on the regulator. The old wiring has been known to corrode internally and look good, but not actually have a solid connection .

Working on a friend's 149 did 12 v test and S/G ramps up then brakes when F terminal is energized. VR hasn't worked in years. Was told the Armature stud on the S/G should be putting out 14 or more volts, it's only putting out 3 volts. Any ideas? VR is not connected, battery new and fully charged. Thanks

Latest posts

Back