• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Stacks??

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bborchers

displayname
Brad Borchers
What is the propose for using stacks instead of the stock exhaust??

JERRY - You forgot to mention about the branches smacking You in the face AFTER the branch slips away.
Not really a problem with My Cubbies but I've been Smacked so many times on My FARMALL's. Plus I run the rain caps on the straight pipes facing forward in "Limb-catching Mode"

On my CCO with loader the stock exhaust came right out at the loader arm and I like the look of the stack anyway so this is what I did:

123232.jpg

123233.jpg

123234.jpg

123235.jpg

Keith, looks very nice! Always good to see Jerry's old Original, especially since you've restored it. Doesn't look like you have any sort of brace on that, I'm surprised it doesn't unscrew itself??? How's the decal and paint holding up on the hood behind the stack?

Kraig-
Keep in mind, that's just a stack, not a muffler, so he can probably get away without a brace.

That said, another thing stacks are good for is breaking off the block's exhaust threads and getting exhaust in your face. <font size="-2">Can you tell I'm not a fan?...</font>
rolleyes.gif

This is on my Son's 86.
126812.jpg

He has a brace on it.
126813.jpg

126814.jpg

The silver looking tape is header wrap. It keeps the heat inside the tape and does not ruin the decal.
126815.jpg

Majority of the time this is on the 86.
126816.jpg

Art, yeah good point. I guess the weight would act to tighten the threads too. I can't keep the plain old muffler tight in the SO76, seems like I have to tighten it up every other time I run it.
angry.gif
Maybe I should put a stack on it....

That straight pipe is really light weight. I couldn't get the old elbow to budge and didn't want to break it off in the block so I left it. It's not exactly 90* straight out from the block so I had to take the Cub to the muffler shop and bend accordingly. The guy only charged me $5 and didn't really want to charge me that. He gave me the old clamp too. It was used and found it laying in the shop. Good thing too, as it's hard to find a 1-1/2" muffler clamp here in town.

The decals are still great. It really doesn't put off that much heat.

It's loud I know that!!!!! Nice echo, echo echo echo in the Cub Shack.

Heres a shot of how I put a stack on one of my cubs, just attach it to the OEM muffler.
126837.jpg

Haha, ive caught many trees with the stack on my cub, i put mine through the hood of my 149. ITS ALMOST DONE, FINALLY!

I want to tap into this knowledge and experience. I am almost ready to put a stack on my 104. But when I do here's what I'm looking at. First off not ever having worked on exhaust before it appears that a spanner nut is the connector. BUT from what I've been able to see that is used along with a "proper" exhaust elbow. And what I have on mine is heavy honkin' pipe (with the nut). Also I have a 16hp. in my 104 and I'm not sure if the standard elbow piece will allow me to raise the hood without the stack/muffler being in the way. The unit I plan to use is at cc specialties if that helps in knowing what I talking about when I say "proper" elbow.

Brad B - Cuz it looks coooooooler!

Seriously, I think it make it look more like a tractor and it does keep alot of heat out of the engine compartment. That has to be a good thing.

Randy

150078.jpg

I work at a harley dealer so I can make up all sorts of stacks this one even has the baffle it runs nice and quiet. The next one with baffle has a changeable end cap not done with rebuild yet still stripping paint.

I thought about doing that once, I have a pair of new take off dresser mufflers. They're kinda big though. I originally was going to put them on my sand rail but have since sold it. I am looking around for an atv muffler to use on the 73, want to run the exhaust next to the frame rail then muffler to go over the rear axle. That should make it pretty quiet. Use the 73 in the woods a lot so want to keep it quiet. Harley take offs are great for making exhaust pipes with all the mandrel bends in them.

Michael:
As heavy as those mufflers are, I hope you've got some bracing on that .... See Greg Lippert's post on the main forum regarding the 301 block that's cracked out along the top of the exhaust port (and Dennis Frisk's comments on why it might have cracked)....
coffee.gif

KENDELL - I think Brian Miller's puller site even mentions the problems with stacks & straight pipes on Kohler's. My little straight pipe on the 72 is ALL under the hood and only 22 inches from the face of the exh. port to the end of the pipe and I have a support bracket on the end that bolts to the starter/generator bracket. I have TOO much time & $$$$$$ in that little K321 to have it "fall apart"!

Back years ago when the 70 was new I had about every variation of striaght pipe on that little K161, everything from a 4 ft tall pipe with a rain cap that was annoying as all heck, to a pair of chrome VW Beetle resonator pipes in welded up elec. conduit for "Twin Stacks". TALL pipes just don't work for Me and ALL my trees, even short pipes would be a problem. I do like My side exit exhaust though, even at idle I can blow stuff off the workbench in the shop from five feet away!

Latest posts

Back