• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Shipping Container for Storage Building???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
Anyone use one of those shipping containers for storing their CC's - or anything else for that matter?

My Dad has a camp and we want to store a tractor or two up there, but don't want to invest a ton of $$$'s - however, want something water tight and burglar proof as sometimes unwanted visitors like our stuff more than we do - especially if it's free for them to own (read - dirty @#%@@'s like to steal stuff).

Here is a link to a picture of a similar container: LINK

I'm finding that apparently as these things get used over time, the expense of maintaining them or transporting an empty one makes it easier/cheaper just to sell it and buy a new one for the primary user - and makes for a good deal for junk collectors like myself!

Bill: That's quite a link! It made the screen go wide, first time I've ever seen a screen do that for anything other than a High Res picture.

Edit: A lot of folks down here in eastern North Carolina get them from the port in Norfolk, Virginia. As long as all your stuff fits in one, it's fine.

Bill, I shortened your link.
happy.gif

My neighbor has one of those storage containers as a storage shed. I've not asked him much about it but I recall him saying it kept the critters out, mice, bugs and so on.

Bill,
That seems like a pretty good idea! I'm in the same boat. I have a place that I mow and am tired of hauling a Cub Cadet every week to mow and just like you I have theives too. It would be nice to always have one back there with a cart and such.
popcorn2.gif

You guys can do what ya want! BUT!
The cost difference between a container and an old semi trailer is huge!!!!!!
Also, when you need it somewhere else, you have to call a specialized hauler to move it.
An old semi trailer can be moved but your local wrecker guy if need be.
I just picked up another 42' trailer for 300.00 and pulled it home with the old IH. It only had 2 flat tires, so I had to hold it under 60, LOL
Course top end on the ole girl is 62!

Kraig M - thanks for fixing the link!

Shultzie - Not hauling everything is also a consideration. With gas prices hitting near $4ish/gal in my neck of the woods, I kind of like taking the 40 mpg Honda Civic out to the camp vs the Jeep & trailer. Also, on days where time is short, I can just go there and not have to spend any time loading/unloading. If I feel like going, hop in the car and everything is already there - ready to go.

One thing I might would do (and I've heard of others doing this) is put a solar trickle charger on the battery so no matter how long it sets, I've got a strong battery for start-up.

For the money the semi box is the way to go, if you have the room. There was a guy by me the had a storage/trailer business and took the semi boxes and knocked all the wheels and front down riggers off and put them on the ground. It was great 42' by 8' with a garage type door all at ground level for loading. The rent was cheap on them too.

I would think that a semi trailer is not as secure as a shipping container. They look like they are made out of thicker steel. I don't know for sure but they just look that way and I assume a shipping container gets knocked around a bit loading and unloading on the boat.
A semi trailer couldn't take that abuse.

The shipping containers are made from 1/4" thk steel. Most semi-trailers are made from really thin aluminum, say .060"~.090" thk. Those containers get stacked 6-8+ high on ships, and they're always WAY over-loaded.

I have heard on other forums that containers are sealed well enough that during changes in weather, they can condense water and cause rust on things stored in them.

Far as secure storage, not sure what would keep a motivated burgler out. With a portable cutting torch you can get in a container in about a minute.

Charlie is right about cost, but the shipping containers are a lot more secure. I went with a 40' High Cube last year and don't regret it one bit. You can also use a pair of containers as your side walls and stick some trusses over them to form a building or covered storage. If you don't foresee a need to move it around they are a very good option. Empty 20' containers can easily be moved around with a tractor or pickup. Just put some round fence post under it with a couple farm jacks and hook on a chain.

Dennis, my container has a vent in each corner to keep the condensation down. I didn't have any problems last fall. We'll see what spring brings.

I work at the Port in Baltimore and we use a lot of old shipping containers for storage. Usually they become available because they are bent or have holes in them. If they have holes you have to patch (weld) them. If they are bent, sometimes the doors don't close right. If you were to buy one I'd inspect it first. Also, they are only as secure as the padlock that you put on it. I've never seen one made of 1/4" steel, 1/8" at the most.Older ones are aluminum. We have one that we put a garage door on.
It's true about the portability problems but they sit on the ground as opposed to an old trailer that you would have to have some kind of ramp for to store Cubs. A 20 footer can be drug up onto a good sized roll-back truck for transportation but a 40' or a 45' is a whole different story.

Latest posts

Back