• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Senate Votes to Repeal Ethanol Tax Credit

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Senate Votes to Repeal Ethanol Tax Credit!!!!

News Alert
from The Wall Street Journal 6/16/11

The Senate voted to repeal a $6 billion tax credit to ethanol producers, a move that could signal the end of some federal subsidies as part of an eventual budget and debt-ceiling compromise.

Senate Votes to Repeal Ethanol Tax Credit...

By COREY BOLES
WASHINGTON—The Senate voted Thursday to repeal a $6 billion tax credit for ethanol producers, a move that could signal the end of some federal subsidies as part of an eventual budget and debt-ceiling compromise.

Most Democrats and a number of Republicans supported an end to the subsidy, in a 73-27 vote. The subsidy gives refiners a 45-cent-a-gallon tax credit for blending ethanol into gasoline and has been a factor behind higher corn prices in recent years. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R., Iowa), a longtime supporter of the credit, objected to the measure that would end the subsidy.

The U.S. ethanol industry is protected by a tariff of 54 cents a gallon on imported ethanol and that, too, would end under the Senate measure.

The ethanol provision was added to unrelated legislation that would renew a program directing federal funding to deprived parts of the country to help local governments attract private investment. Even if approved by the Senate, the legislation isn't expected to be taken up by the House, possibly limiting the vote to symbolic significance.

An earlier vote on ending the ethanol subsidy failed on Tuesday, but that was largely because of Democratic anger at the manner in which the measure was brought to the floor.

The amendment was sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.) who has long pushed for an end to the tax credit.

Senators are now voting on a separate measure that would prevent federal funds from being used for ethanol storage facilities or blender pumps, another attempt at limiting federal support for production of the fuel alternative. That measure is backed by Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.).

Ken: One thing I always liked about Kentucky (I used to live there) is that back in frontier days they paid their preachers with barrels of whiskey and hoops of tobacco. The "Land between the Lakes" was also a prime source of bootleg liquor in Al Capone's Chicago (where I also used to live). All I can say is that I can think of far better uses of ethanol than to put it in the gas tanks of cars!
beer2.gif

JEREMIAH - And there's MUCH better uses for all the shell corn they use to make the ethanol too. Everything from corn flakes to livestock feed to make those nice big juicy steaks for grilling on the bar-b-que.

There's way too many other things we can make ethanol from that are not being used for other purposes. We just haven't developed and perfected those processes yet.

The byproducts of ethanol production is used for cattle & hog feed, and the increased demand for corn has raised the price farmers get for it, and farmers do a great job of spending their increased profits on new equipment. But the solution to the US's energy independence is NOT building more or bigger stills to make ethanol.

Latest posts

Back