• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Safety

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dross

displayname
Dave Ross
It was mentioned on the main board that we needed a list for safety. I'm gonna add to it and say with personal expirience. I'll start with a recent safety issue. It involves a front axle pin, a 3 pound short handled maul, a 12 inch drift punch. "DO" not miss

I was pulling a log 2ft dia. x 8ft. long and didn't go straight over the hill like i should have. The log started rolling and i was able to jump off as the tractor turned over. Nothing was hurt but it was a close call.

Biggest pc. of advice I can think of is when transporting a CC, try to use a trailer if at all possible. I've had WAY too many close calls with ramps spitting out when trying to load into pickups.
Backing up to a ditch bank helps, but IMHO, any time ramps are involved accidents are not too far away!

Dennis, good point, I know it ain't a cub but this is how fast it happens.
safty first Didn't realize till right now the name on the video.

sorry.gif

-Always use the brake lock when parked on a hill, especially with hydros - it may not roll immediately, but eventually it will (and will find a bush to roll over, even if it's pointed in a different direction). Loaded trailers will amplify this effect..
-Never hook a chain above the rear axle center line - if you can't move what your chained to, it'll pop the front end off the ground, sometimes waaaaay off the ground.
-If you're gonna do something that makes you want to call your buddy over to watch .... don't. These aren't toys, they're heavy and can kill ya , just like a big one.

Dave R: Yeah, D U M B !! But that isn't our Charlie - he's certainly got more smarts than that.. First those are not the curved style ramps he should have had and then the dumbkoph didn't tie the ramps to the bumper to prevent that kickback problem... Good ramp sets come with a bumper strap or cable!! Of, course, it's pretty easy to make your own..then U S E 'em!! I do.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I once saw a guy loading his compact diesel tractor on a single axle trailer in winter; was on a slight incline. When he drove the tractor up the ramp/tailgate it lifted the 1/2 ton pickup's rear end up just enough that it started the whole mess rolling down the hill. I guess ice/snow may have contributed but wow! Must have gone 45 feet, off the curved driveway into some smaller trees. He had quite a ride!

Two words I haven't heard yet are "common sense". As Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force (I think), "a man's gotta know his limitations". It doesn't matter if you're pulling a couple of tons with a cub or just walking on ice, if you're not careful you just might end up hurt.

I was working my big tractor at a friends after hurricane Fran in '96 and when finished there wasn't enough time to load up so I left the tractor there until the next day. I got a call the next morning from my friend and found out he'd gotten on the tractor by himself (I leave the key in it) and long story short, he wrecked it trying to pull a large log up an incline. At the top of the incline the front kept going up so he hit the brakes, or the left brake. This incline was the start of a bridge going to his house and off the left side he went. The tractor didn't turn over but the right rear caught a tree beside the bridge and pinned his foot. The rescue people had to punture the tire to free his foot. By the way, he was trying to pull a large log with the chain attached to the end of the lift pole. He wasn't experienced at all and almost paid the ultimate price. He paid for most of the repairs but still owes me $, ($351.12 to be exact). He has since moved and took my money with him.

JIM D. - The folding ramps on lots of trailers now have legs next to the hinges of the ramps to prevent the backs of trailers from going DOWN which causes the frt of the trailer & back of the P/U from going UP. If Your ramps on your trailer don't, use blocks, or have someone weld a mount for a jack onto the back ends of the trailer to prevent that from happening.

Also, when loading & unloading something heavy on a trailer, It's best to have someone stand on the brake pedal, or block the trailer tires/wheels. I haven't trailered a lot of stuff, besides driving O-t-R for about four yrs, I will say loading & securing anything from CC's up to 7000# farm tractors actually turns out to be a bit of work. States are all tightening up the rules ALL the time. Comment was made on the main forum about having to "Cross chains" as a ILL state req't. Also the four required chains have to have a tensile strength at least a high as the weight of the object restrained. I'd like to suggest that those chains should ALSO be as short as possible. The longer they are the farther the object can move if they loosen slightly, and they will loosen.
I also suggest you check your state's DOT for load securing reg's. Straps may or may not be legal for Your load.

I hope some of you checked other videos at the site Dave Ross posted earlier.
As Ron White once said...'YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID'!

I'll add my 2-cents...

Suppose you're moving LOTS of gravel with a narrow-frame cub and a #4 trailer down a very steep hill. You did it all day long the previous day so much that that your entire body aches when you wake up the next day.

As you go outside and smell the fresh air that next morning, you're so excited to finally finish the job that you never notice the heavy dew on the grass and proceed to skid your first load all of the way down the hill and nearly THROUGH the barb-wire fence at the bottom of the hill!
yikes.gif

Bottom line.... ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION to what morning dew can do to "yesterday's" traction!

Charlie, You'd have to go back a long time in the archives to see the original post. It's hard to hold the camera with both hands clasp together in prayer. Or holding your butt cheeks together.
happy.gif

Yikes Art! Happened to me back on the farm as a kid green chopping hay too! That sticks with ya, I don't think the grass was the only thing with skid marks either.
blush.gif

David

a base ball bat might make the need wheels If I saw them do that . GGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR

DAVID - That's why I let my 7-1/2 pound Shih Tzu guard my car or truck when I gas up.

She looks very much like this dog, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih_Tzu

Only we keep her hair trimmed up shorter in a "Puppy Cut".

She's not as capable at maiming and disabling/subduing would-be robbers as our last dog, a 150# St. Bernard. Anybody that says they were bit by a St. Bernard and still has all their appendages attached is a dang liar, or the St. was just "Playing".

Years ago I took a tractor to a dealer to have some work done. Guy thru ramps on my tailgate, told me to hold the ends on the ground, then proceeded to back the unit off the truck. Well, deck caught a ramp, no way I could hold it and down he went. Tractor rolled off the truck, hit the right rear tire, bounced and flipped on its side. Rough on the sheet metal, guy was shaken up but not hurt (thank goodness it didn't flip backwards) but could have been deadly. Safety IS important.

just from being around compressed gas tanks, I would not be anywhere near them, they can take off like rockets

Latest posts

Back