• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Rebuilding a PS unit?? Anybody actually ever do it???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
My 2072 developed a case of the "leaking steering column" this evening.

has anyone (Successfully) rebuilt on of the PS units?? If so, what am I in for $$$ and success rate wise???

I hear they really suck to work on, and need real world tips.

I have a leaker too! I'm watching...
216444.gif

I don't know about the 2072 steering, but rebuilt one for a freind that went in his 982. They could be about the same, not to bad to do but they have to be timed properly. The reseal kit wasn't to pricey, but you must have a manual to make sure the marks are lined up properly, to work right.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

Before I would ever attempt to take steering unit apart I would add a few drops of Seal Swell and see if that would stop the leak.I have used it on racks in my car that I was told need replacement for safety inspection . I would go home and add some seal swell and that would fix the leaky seal and not damage any other parts.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220959
This would be a short term fix I think . It might get you some time till you get all the manuals and a repair kit for the power steering leak you have. Good luck because I have read they can be a pain to repair.
bash.gif

Steve,

Get ahold of Bryan Baker. He rebuilt one a while back and I think he found the parts from Deere to be much cheaper and their manual much better. I'll see if I have a manual I can send you if you need one.

When I rebuilt one I went to the local hydralic shop and got the kit to rebuild it. Believe it was only around 15-20 dollars.

I replaced the face seal on the steering shaft this morning...messy when the column is full of oil!!!!, but really an easy fix, provided you are very careful not to disturb the rest of the unit.

I cheated a little removing the column, loosening the u-bolts that clamp the dual hyd valve to the tractor and then sliding the column out the bottom with everyting else still in the place. Tedious work on some of the bolts, but worth the extra effort.

Had to take a "delay of game" mid-afternoon, when the fan went out of my 1975 Modine shop heater. A quick trip to the local HVAC wholesale parts dealer got me back in heat to finish the job.

Latest posts

Back