• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Rear Wheels will not come off axle on 1420 Cub Cadet

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheise

displayname
William L. Heise
I am a new member to the forum and need some help. I have a 1420 Cub Cadet with Hydromatic drive. The other day I started it and move the lever, but nothing happened. Shut if off and looked uderneath and the rod going to the transmission was down and the control arm was broken. The control arm has a roll pin in it, and I just cannot get a punch and hammer in to get it out without taking the left wheel off. Trouble is, cannot get wheel off, like frozen to the axle. Have to find a wheel puller of right size and try. any other suggestions on how to get it off the axle would be appreciated.

Unfortunately rust is probably holding it on. I am unfamiliar with your model, but if the rim slides on a key-way shaft, which is what the parts look up shows, then you'll have to soak it(I use PB blaster), heat it and beat it. I have used steering wheel/harmonic balancer pullers before with some success. Tighten it up and hit the center bolt. This usually works for stuck parts, but I have also irreparably damaged stuff(sometimes when parts suddenly go flying). Last time I heated a rim up with oxy-acetylene and then pounded it off from the back side. I had the trans completely removed from the tractor.

I tried the puller routine, just didn't budge. Went back and worked on getting the control arm off. I got the roll pin to move, and with a punch from the other side and a small ball peen hammer, did get it punched out, and now have a new one on. I guess I will leave the wheel stuck on, and if have a flat will have to get oneside off the rim and put a tube in it! Afraid of pounding on it, the tranny is made of aluminum and axle held in with a C-clip I imagine, wheel puller and heat next time. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm glad you got it fixed! I have destroyed a couple trying to just pound them out, but they were junk anyway and I just wanted the wheels.

Back