Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Please help-Montgomery Ward TMO-33814C

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
I just picked up this mower. Its a 1976 Montgomery Ward 10hp 36" rider. Model TMO-33814C. I haven't had it running yet but I just noticed the left axle is loose in the transaxle housing. I'm assuming theres a bushing or bearing and an oil seal at the ends of the axle tube. Does anybody have a good source for parts or can you tell me what model transaxle it has? Thanks
20210508_102709.jpg

kphill

displayname
Kevin Hill
One problem with other brands like Montgomery Wards and Sears for example is they only produce replacement parts for ten years or so because there are so many models coming and going unlike IH Cub Cadets where they didn't change as much and you can still get parts going back 50 years at the dealership.. Your best bet may be to find a parts tractor to find what you need...

Last edited:

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
It's a peerless 659 transaxle. Where can I find parts? I did a google search and nothing comes up

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
So dumb question but the 659 would be part of the 600 series then? Never dealt with peerless stuff before

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I just picked up this mower. Its a 1976 Montgomery Ward 10hp 36" rider. Model TMO-33814C. I haven't had it running yet but I just noticed the left axle is loose in the transaxle housing. I'm assuming theres a bushing or bearing and an oil seal at the ends of the axle tube. Does anybody have a good source for parts or can you tell me what model transaxle it has? ThanksView attachment 143495
If you have a wobble where axle comes out of diff.a reasonable guess is bad bearing just inside housing.Remove bearing and mosey down to auto parts store.The odds are very good they will have one.Use a micrometer to prove size...I made it sound easy....

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
If you have a wobble where axle comes out of diff.a reasonable guess is bad bearing just inside housing.Remove bearing and mosey down to auto parts store.The odds are very good they will have one.Use a micrometer to prove size...I made it sound easy....
I'm a union millwright you would think I could handle this. Don't have an issue doing the work once I find the problem but I'm clueless about Peerless transaxles 😂 I've only worked on hydros and the old Foote and Dana transaxles

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Grant, I've had many different ones apart and the basics are similar.Todays tech allows you to take pics of every step.There is no reason for your concern. Just proceed slowly and pay attention to who does what internally..I just lay all the parts the way they came out...No I'm not perfect either...

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
I can't help very much on the axle issue, but I really just find it interesting that lawn tractor manufacturers in that era loved to slap the word 'transaxle' in big letters somewhere on the machine. I've got this 1977 Murray 11/36 with 'transaxle' in big white letters just above the gear selector. Your MW has it on the hood!

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
Yep it's definitly putting the info out there. Its bigger than the brand or horsepower lol

Last edited:

pdbuck

displayname
Paul D. Buck Sr.
If it is peerless there should be a metal tag attached to one of the brake caliper bolts with the transaxle ID numbers.

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
Yeah I found. It's a Model 659 but I've searched for hours and can't find anything about it. No pictures, no parts, no videos. I'm at a loss right now I'll just tear into the thing whennI get back to Indiana and hopefully it's an easy fix

Lee Arnold

Peerless was part of Lauson (so was Techumseh) JD used the 4 spd peerless in their old 110,112s . A bunch of people used Peerless. I used to have all the microfiche cards where I worked -I'm sure they are long gone though.

Grant Laughrey

IHCC Supporter
displayname
TruckGuy1995
At this point I need atleast the axle needle bearings and oil seals. Been searching for Peerless 600 series parts all over google and can't find anything

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Grant, I don't know how much you know but I'm not trying to preach...Most mfg for many years used off the shelf brgs and many still do..(The metric age has caused some changes!!) The brg,to me , is not the issue.It's taking it apart slowly.I've seen a couple that had loose detent balls on the inside for the shift mechanism.Things like that tend to mess with our minds a tad..I felt apprehensive on my first hydro and it went just fine....Yea, you can do it.....