• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Please help-Montgomery Ward TMO-33814C

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Laughrey

displayname
TruckGuy1995
I just picked up this mower. Its a 1976 Montgomery Ward 10hp 36" rider. Model TMO-33814C. I haven't had it running yet but I just noticed the left axle is loose in the transaxle housing. I'm assuming theres a bushing or bearing and an oil seal at the ends of the axle tube. Does anybody have a good source for parts or can you tell me what model transaxle it has? Thanks
20210508_102709.jpg

One problem with other brands like Montgomery Wards and Sears for example is they only produce replacement parts for ten years or so because there are so many models coming and going unlike IH Cub Cadets where they didn't change as much and you can still get parts going back 50 years at the dealership.. Your best bet may be to find a parts tractor to find what you need...

Last edited:
try this. By the way that is a pretty tractor, these monkey wards were made by Gilson, some by Simplicity, depending on the year.

Attachments

• 59477-peerlessmanual.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 154
I just picked up this mower. Its a 1976 Montgomery Ward 10hp 36" rider. Model TMO-33814C. I haven't had it running yet but I just noticed the left axle is loose in the transaxle housing. I'm assuming theres a bushing or bearing and an oil seal at the ends of the axle tube. Does anybody have a good source for parts or can you tell me what model transaxle it has? ThanksView attachment 143495
If you have a wobble where axle comes out of diff.a reasonable guess is bad bearing just inside housing.Remove bearing and mosey down to auto parts store.The odds are very good they will have one.Use a micrometer to prove size...I made it sound easy....

If you have a wobble where axle comes out of diff.a reasonable guess is bad bearing just inside housing.Remove bearing and mosey down to auto parts store.The odds are very good they will have one.Use a micrometer to prove size...I made it sound easy....
I'm a union millwright you would think I could handle this. Don't have an issue doing the work once I find the problem but I'm clueless about Peerless transaxles 😂 I've only worked on hydros and the old Foote and Dana transaxles

Grant, I've had many different ones apart and the basics are similar.Todays tech allows you to take pics of every step.There is no reason for your concern. Just proceed slowly and pay attention to who does what internally..I just lay all the parts the way they came out...No I'm not perfect either...

I can't help very much on the axle issue, but I really just find it interesting that lawn tractor manufacturers in that era loved to slap the word 'transaxle' in big letters somewhere on the machine. I've got this 1977 Murray 11/36 with 'transaxle' in big white letters just above the gear selector. Your MW has it on the hood!

If it is peerless there should be a metal tag attached to one of the brake caliper bolts with the transaxle ID numbers.

Yeah I found. It's a Model 659 but I've searched for hours and can't find anything about it. No pictures, no parts, no videos. I'm at a loss right now I'll just tear into the thing whennI get back to Indiana and hopefully it's an easy fix

Peerless was part of Lauson (so was Techumseh) JD used the 4 spd peerless in their old 110,112s . A bunch of people used Peerless. I used to have all the microfiche cards where I worked -I'm sure they are long gone though.

At this point I need atleast the axle needle bearings and oil seals. Been searching for Peerless 600 series parts all over google and can't find anything

Grant, I don't know how much you know but I'm not trying to preach...Most mfg for many years used off the shelf brgs and many still do..(The metric age has caused some changes!!) The brg,to me , is not the issue.It's taking it apart slowly.I've seen a couple that had loose detent balls on the inside for the shift mechanism.Things like that tend to mess with our minds a tad..I felt apprehensive on my first hydro and it went just fine....Yea, you can do it.....

Back