• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Plasma Cutter set-ups

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kredlinger

displayname
Kyle Redlinger
I've owned my plasma cutter for a little over 2 years now & I love it! I've only recently begun to really use it on a weekly basis & am picking up a few ideas here & ther for smooth operation, cuts & how-to's. Anyone else have a bench built or a corner set-up just for such work? I've been cutting some pieces to build a 3 point a-frame pallet fork lift as well as the continuing build up of a narrow front Sears that needs quite a bit of delicate cutting.

Kyle, i have always hung it over the side of the welding bench. Unless the sheet was to big then I got cut where ever it was. I used to work a lot of stainless steel and such. There really is nothing like a plasma cutter, after a month or so att I used the torch for was heat. I cut everything with the plasma, steel, stainless, aluminum. I even tried copper and brass, i just had to turn down the heat. Not warping everything and the cleaner cut sure is nice.
flame.gif
Never mind it is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying acetylene.

I can only wish I had one. A company I used to drive for had a nice Miller plasma cutter I got to use anytime I needed. Fell in love with it after the first cut. Made aluminum box sides for mt Toyota mudder, no grinding or sanding necessary. After that, anytime I built something I took the parts to work to cut. Now I'm back to my torch. Really like to get one but I need to replace my Mig first.
I have seen a couple cutting benches made from floor grating, not sure what they were made of though.

Aluminum huh? I didn't think it would work on aluminum very cleanly, going to have to try it today. I made my own arch cutter with a strong magnet & a short length of jet line. I've got a small rolling cart with an aluminum top that is my cutting bench. I can see a roller guide being bought to help keep straight lines straight!

I can't even remember what project I bought My Hypertherm to work on but I figure it paid for itself that first job. Saved Me a boat-load of time on edge prep. for welding. Most of My cuts I either make a thin plywood template or use a straigt edge. Son trys to cut everything "free hand" and it looks terrible.
Now that steel is getting cheaper I may start working on more projects I've put off and I'll use it more.
Maybe some day I'll make a CNC plasma cutting table.

Kyle, the plasma torches will cut anything that conducts electricity. The only thing that really varies it the heat. Steel is much more forgiving than aluminum and brass so its better to not have enough and have to turn it up than warp the project.

Well, I had a small piece of flat aluminum. I dunno, it's going to take a little practice to really get it right on the aluminum. It really splatered around a bit but overall wasn't difficult to cut through. Way betther than trying to use the jig saw or the sawzall!
I added another water seperator on the back of the unit this past weekend, the colder air in the shop compressor once warmed up was causing some problems.

Dennis:
Hypertherm, eh?.. I've had my 20 amp Hypertherm for about 15 years - I wouldn't let go of it for any other brand, even Blue...

My experience with aluminum is that it leaves a rough, balled up edge on the cut - usually needs a cleanup of the edge..

KENDELL - Yep, the 40A machine. I try to keep all my equip. so it handles 1/4" to 3/8" material easily. I normally work in 1/8" to 1/4" but I have been known to work on things where I need to weld 2" square bar onto 1/2" or 5/8" thk steel plate.

I think if We "Gang Up" on Art We can get Him to buy one too.

Denny-
I'm an easy target at this game because I've been considering a Plasma for about a year now.
whistling.gif

<font size="-2">Then again, maybe I'm just an easy target all the way around.</font>
wedgie.gif

Dennis:
I was doing mostly small fab and sheet metal (F100 still isn't done, but "maybe this year") when I bought the MAX20. My son in law builds those furnaces (like the one I showed in the Burnin' Wood thread awhile back)and uses a Powermax 30 for all of his cutting - I'd move up to at least a 40, if I could sneak one in the shop...

ART - No comment on Your last statement in fine print!
Just go BUY the thing! If You get it on-line just make sure Your local welding supply shop carries consumables.

Consumables, there's something a guy easilly overlooks! I shopped around for a few days online to locate a bulk pile for a good price & scored well over 300 pieces for my Dayton 40 for under $100. Should be set for awhile

Consumables cost can be a controversial issue.. I've stuck with genuine Hypertherm nozzles and cups and have always gotten good life out of them. Of course DRY air is a key, also. I've talked to guys about the issues that have taken place from using Chinese made consumables that don't match the materials and extremely tight tolerances of the OEM parts..

I came close to having a CNC unit to use (with a Powermax 1000), but after I got the table running, I talked the new owner into dumping it (table was poor quality construction and there wasn't a well ventilated place to run what is really a filthy process). We still made a profit on it and got rid of a headache ..
lazerburn.gif

Latest posts

Back