• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New cadet 76 owner

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkline

displayname
Ryan Kline
I just purchased a cadet 76 for $75.00 The tractor runs great nothing wrong with it. I am very impresed. I dont see much about theses on here are the 100 and up more popular. If anyone could tell me a little about this lawn tractor I would appreciate it.
Thanks Ryan

Ryan K: The Cadet Model 76, like its bretheren, the 80, 81, & 111 Cadets, are <u>tractor style lawn mowers</u> not garden tractors capable of ground engaging equipment like plows, etc. Cub Cadets, though they may have a belly mower, are Garden Tractors. Lawn Tractors are great little mowers which is what IH intended them to be.

Parts listings can be found in TC-157 and IH GSS-1436 is the Service manual. The Operator's manual is IH Publication 1 083 656-R1. I recommend that you have all three.

With some TLC, proper care and good maintenance, it will last another 33/34 years. The Model 76 was made from 1972 - 1976. It was replaced by the Models 80 & 81 in 1977 and the 111 was added later(78/79)...Note: The red/white/blue BiCentennial commemorative Model Spirit Of '76 was also Produced in 1975 and 1976 (I have one of those).

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I am a fellow 1976, 76 owner. I hope to start the restoration soon. Seems like a fun little tractor. My goal is to have it for the kids ot learn on, them mvoe them up to my 782.

Ryan K...if you have further questions, just ask. Somebody will know the answer and be glad to help you....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I just used my 76 for the first time today. It is a really good little mower. Cuts the grass and does not hack it off like my cousins JD. I was really impressed with the speed and cutting quality for such an old mower. 2nd gear and half throttle is as fast as anyone needs to cut a yard. Might leave the 1200 in the garage for a while. hahah

Michael M and many others: That little ole 7hp B&S engine is air cooled, so please don't mow at half throttle. Working (ie mowing) an air cooled engine should be done at wide open throttle (WOT) for sufficient cooling. WOT is within the normal operating rpm of the engine and won't damage it. Consistently overheating the engine <u>will</u> damage it however.....Did I mention that you mow at WOT with an air cooled engine??
old.gif
And not to mention, that at WOT, a high blade speed is maintained which will give you the best cut. Use the transmission to control ground speed. End of Lecture.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks again guy's for all of your help. I am sure there will be more questions to follow. My dad got a snowplow from one of his neighbors. We are going to try and mount it on. Not sure how well it will push the snow. We do not get very large amounts in my area. I will probably get a larger cub cadet in the future to put the plow on. But for some reason I feel the 76 will have enough power to handle the snow we get here. My dad has a 1200 but he will not part from it. I cant blame him.

Ryan K: IH marketed a small snow blade for the Model 76 (Lawn Tractors) as well as one for the Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mowers. So, Yes, your Model 76 will handle a small blade but not the one intended for the garden tractors - too big & heavy....Shop around. Several of the used parts/equipment suppliers may have one to fit an LT.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I have a Cadet 76 I am currently restoring. Could someone help me with the proper paint numbers and decals.

Tony, you haven't stated if it's a Spirit Of 76 or a regular 76.

89550.jpg

89551.jpg

Tony, I'm not 100% sure but seeing that the 76 was built during the same time period as the 1x8/9 and the Quiet Line series I would think it would use the same paint color/numbers. The white used during that time was 935 and the yellow could have been either 483 or 483B depending on when your 76 was built. If you look in the FAQ and the CUBFAQ there is info on various brands of paint. I believe they used gel-coat on the fiberglass hood, so paint won't be correct in any case. Perhaps Myron or someone else will have more info.

Kraig...IH 935 white is basically correct for the white on the Cadet Lawn Tactors including the SO 76. No one will ever know the difference from the "gel-coat" or whatever....fiber glass gets painted all the time- just use a prime/filler recommended for fiber glass...

There is NO color difference between Federal Yellow 483 and Federal Yellow 483B. The "B" version contained a rust inhibitor required for a number of years by bid specifications in most northern/midwest states, using salt on the roads. It was highly expensive and IH eventually dropped it, probably as a cost savings....

Tony D: Cub Cadet and Case/IH sells both colors in bulk or spray can. After IH , MTD/CC has used some yellows and some whites that are not the same, so just make sure you are getting the correct ones.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

i just purchased new wheels for my 76 part #734-3037 and bushings #ih539476-ri and the bushings are to big. these are parts from parts catalog. can anyone tell me what bearings i need. please , anyone with a good hood for sale i am intrested. i purchased one on e-bay but its broke at critical spots as is mine.

Back