• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My new (to me) 1811

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klindstedt

displayname
Kevin Lindstedt
After buying my 582 a few years ago and finding this site a month or so later, I'd developed a "IH Cub Cadets are better than MTD/CC Cub Cadets" mentality. I recently had the opportunity to purchase an 1811 at a fair price and I've got to say that I'm real happy with this tractor. I snapped a couple of pictures of it after I finished mowing tonight.

Oh yeah, a BIG thank you goes out to Kurt "Fly-N-Squirrel" Randall for hauling this thing back from Iowa for me!

55240.jpg

55239.jpg

Kevin,
Nice tractor!
That Fly-N-Squirrel made a lot of guys happy this past weekend and deserves an ATTA BOY!
beerchug.gif

Thanks Charlie.

It seems like the 1811 steers a lot easier than the 582. It's possible the front tires are low on the 582, but it is a big difference. Also seems to have a tighter turning radius. Am I just imagining this stuff?
confused.gif

Kevin,
The 1811 have we've come to call the super steer, and yes it does have a tighter turning radius.
http://cubfaq.com/supersteer.html

On the turning harder, have you check the steering boc on the 582? Or greased it lately? Tie rod ends binding or worn out can cause that tight as well as loose feeling.

1811 does NOT have the super steer axle, that was only on certain cyclops tractors. It steers easier because the steering box has a different ratio that has more turns from lock to lock than the IH ones, hence the easier steering.

I have never seen one of those on any of the 1811's or any yellow and white 82 series tractors. If you look at the pictures of his 1811 you will see that his axle doesn't look like that. And neither does the one on my 1811 or the one I parted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
happy.gif

Digger, Matt G: My parts manuals support Matt G. The front axle changed at Serial number 821060 and above, about the 1861/1862 series. Parts Manuals show that the 1811 used the same front axle part number as the IH models. Axles break and get replaced, so finding one on an 1811 isn't a surprise, but not from the factory...

Myron B

I'll let this one go, grin
But I do have another 1811 down at the farm that has my same axle in it.
In my best Forrest Gump voice.
That's all I'm gonna say about thaaaa't.
bouncy.gif

FWIW-
My experience has been that the steering gear ratio was the same-
The "Super steer" (not to be confused with THE SuperSteer from New Holland) axle just was better engineered so that the axis of movement goes more toward the center of the loaded footprint of the tire, where the IH designed axle has more tire scrub when turning.

Whatever the reason, it does turn easier. In fact, my wife mowed for a while this afternoon while I did the trimming with the Lawnboy and she didn't want to relinquish the seat when I finished!
shame.gif

Latest posts

Back