• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Model 1811 Won't Start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkeslar

displayname
Mike Keslar
Hey Everyone! I'm new to the forum and joined to try to help out my dad. He recently aquired a cub cadet 1811 model # 149660100 serial #79150 with a kohler twin cylinder engine.

Problem is that it wont start. He is saying that he doesn't have any spark.

Here's what he's done so far.

put new plugs, new ignition switch, new power take off switch.

Still won't start. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Is it the magneto? If so, how do you remove it, where is it and ~ what will it cost to replace?

Thanks a million!

First of all Welcome to the Forum Mike.
wave.gif
You don't have to start a new thread each time that you ask a question. As I've stated before PATIENCE is the key to having any question answered on tis or any Forum. There are many very knowledgeable people that can and will help you solve your problem(s). However they have other things in life to do such as employment and family to take care of also.

Now.... Has your Dad checked all electrical contacts? Has he made sure they are clean. A bad ground or contact with a switch can cause such a concerns as you are experiencing. Just because you install a new switch doesn't mean the hookup area was clean. There are other areas to check also which other members will state. Sit back, relax and above all PATIENCE.... Now I have to start my work day... have a good one.

I just talked to him and he says that he did check the electrical connections, but will go over them again. He said he checked the connections with a test light and has juice going from the swithc all the way into the magneto, but is lost after that...

Mike, I'm gonna stick my neck out and do some blind troubleshooting.
I pulled down the owners manual but no wire diagram.
What you have seems to be a 2 cly engine with coil+points ignition.??
If yes read on, if no, probabily not much help.
Are you sure ALL safety switches are good, or jumpered for now for testing? Does it have a seat switch and maybe a brake switch? Not sure if they keep you from cranking engine or just not starting.
Last try, have your dad put the test lite on the + terminal of the ignition coil with the ignition sw. in RUN position. It should light. When placed on the other side of the coil the light should go on/off while cranking.
Good luck, keep us posted

Mike K:

The serial number you posted [79150] is incomplete. It should have six digits in length. There were two wiring diagrams for this model, based on serial number ranges.

Here is a Wring Diagram for what I believe is your model...

168524.jpg

Would I be correct in "assuming" by what you mean by it "won't start", means the motor rolls over and and you have no spark...??

If this is the case, remove the YELLOW wire from the Ignition Switch and see if it will start up.

If it does, then there is a short in that circuit.

If it still won't start, then I highly suspect the Magneto.

Here is some additional images from the Service Manual

168525.jpg

168526.jpg

Although the Service Manual does say, checking the Primary Side of the Magneto can be done.
Taking an Ohm Meter with one lead to motor ground, and the other to the Yellow Wire.

Zero Ohms = Shorted Magneto -> Replace
Infinite Ohms = Open Magneto -> Replace
Some Ohms (< 2,000 Ohms) = Probably OK

M18 Manual. Look at Section 8.

Mike K. Roland is just the gentleman that I've been waiting for to post.
happy.gif
Roland KNOWS his stuff and if anyone can guide you and your Dad through your problem HE can.

Back