• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Making new cam followers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jupton

displayname
jeff upton
Made some cam followers for me & a friend the other day and I was thinking about how you have to take the steering gear out to get the original follower out of the lever plate, The original follower has a shoulder from the threads to the tapper on the end . This shoulder will not let the original follower come out by backing it out with your screw driver ..
So when I was making the new followers I cut a relief cut in this spot between the threads and the tapped part of my cam follower . now I can screw the new follower in from the outside of the lever plate & use a new nylon lock nut to lock it down with or you can use the original nut . If this works then I will not have to take the (steering wheel ) Steering gear & lever plate out to check for wear or replace my cam follower .. let me know what you guys think about the Idea Thanks Jeff U
217846.jpg

217847.jpg

also put a notch in the frame to get to that lock nut thats hard to reach}

So...can you make those things for less than $35?

Tony H.
Yes he can.
Anyone can make anything for less than what you can buy OEM parts for.
That's just the way it is.
biggrin.gif

Tony H ... The cam followers have not been installed or tested yet.. as i said in my post, I might have to use the old nut. i,m hoping it will work the way i,d hope but we will see....

Charlie,s right some things you can make for cheaper from stock .. Buttttt.. I had acess to a machine shop & most don,t if i had been
charged shop rate for letting me do the work that would eat up that $35.00 in the first hr. I was tring to fix my cam followers so i could replace them or check for wear with out taking the column out that was my hole point...

Sorry Charlie .... did,t mean to get this price stuff started...
JU

Update on cam follower : I have my steering col. rebuilt. the follower and steering gear is very smooth , looking forward to using it in the tractor my 147 had very bad steering when i tore it down . this should work out really nice on my 147 now.. Thanks for the all your comments !!!

Jeff U
221180.jpg

221181.jpg

221182.jpg

JeffU: Note that <u>low</u> air pressure in the tires makes for hard steering and fast wearout of all steering components. Keep'em aired up!!

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Latest posts

Back