• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

LTG 1045 hydro problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lroth

displayname
Larry Roth
I have an LT 1045 CC and the transmission does not seem to fully engage. It will barely make it up a small hill and is sluggish (at best) on level ground. I changed the drive belt and this did not help. The linkage looks to be in good condition.
Does not look like any oil leakage has occured. There is (according to the manual) no way to check or add oil.
Is there a way to adjust the linkage for more "throw"?

Larry, Not real familiar with this series but I know that the Deere models that are similar have the same issues too. With them it requires a fluid change, which means unbolting the transaxle and rolling it out, then removing a plastic plug under the cooling fan; tipping it over and draining. Refill is with regular 30wt engine oil to 1/2" of the plastic plug's opening.

Not to say yours has a similar issue, but worth noting. Verify that your spring loaded idler is maintaining plenty of pressure on that belt. If not, the "fixed" idler is actually on a slot so it can compensate for belt "growth" over time. Moving it into the belt farther will allow the spring-loaded idler to work better.
Does it make a whining noise now that it didn't when new? That indicates a low fluid level which means air is drawn into the unit. That is NOT a good thing, it must be filled to improve performance or damage will occur. Often these were only marginally factory filled; the slightest fluid loss while mowing can cause adverse performance.

Larry ...Are you running engine at full throttle ? CC manual states some Hydro's have drain plug. Parts schematic shows a fill plug (SAE 6) & fill to top with 20w50 engine oil (76-78 oz.). But you need to remove seat , fuel tank, fender, etc. to access the hydro. There's also an adjustment ferrule on the hydro control rod. Also if oil level is proper level , then when warmed up, oil should show in expansion tank. Is tank clear to eyeball oil level ? Hydro Gear.com maybe helpful...
Shift.gif

Yes, full throttle. The mower belt will not stay on if you engage it at any speed than WOT!
I had problems with the belt slipping and changed the belt. I repaired the idlers to make the belt track and not slip. I am sure the belt is not an issue. The CC manual states the unit is sealed and there is no way to add oil. I removed the fenders and could not find a fill plug. However, there does not seem to be any oil leakage. I think the linkage is not moving far enough to put it into full engagement. However, I can't seem to get it to move any more.

Larry, Check the hydro bypass rod, is it fully engaged ? Check CCParts Lookup ^^^ ,it shows a fill plug #109 in transmission schematic. Best I can cipher, it's SAE 9/16" threaded plug with countersunk head (3/8" socket driver to remove ?) I'd check to verify oil level.Clean top of assembly, Remove plug, insert (looped handle -makeshift dipstick) wire to measure oil level.
Shift.gif

LT 1045 Owner's Manaul. Scroll down to page 27, illustration 23. Note that it says that some models are non serviceable.

Now here are my thoughts on this. We actually need more information to help troubleshoot your question. Here is why...

1) Do you do any heavy towing such as using a lawn roller?

2) Small hills will hasten wear on these transmissions.

3) Any front blade work done with it?

Those transmissions aren't really meant for such chores as rolling lawns even if the lawns are flat. Same for mowing hills and front blade work, i.e. snow removal doesn't help either.

I heard of one gentleman that used his LT 1045 to roll his lawn and the transmission lasted three years. Fortunately it was covered under warranty.

One must consider some things about these types of lawn tractors. Price.... That engine isn't cheap even if the manufacturer buys thousands of them a year. Blow the engine up and you may be amazed as people have found out that the engine costs more than they paid for the tractor and mower when new. Now figure in the deck spindles, seat, gauges, steering wheel, literally ALL the components and the company has to still be able to sell that unit and make a profit. So, do you really think the transmission is really going to be any different when figuring in the companies bottom dollar?

Three years ago two gentlemen asked me about their eleven year old Craftsman garden tractors and what could be wrong with the hydros. BOTH took immaculate care of the whole unit and both mowed slight inclines. Both said the rest of the tractor was still sound as ever and the only thing wrong was the hydro would slip when warm or going up a slight incline. After doing some research the best answer that I could give them was to "try" a new implement relief spring. It would be a "band aid" fix short term. Long term... purchase a new transmission because everything else n the system was worm out.

As usual.... just my rambling thoughts.

Back