• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 Pointers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Riutzel

IHCC Supporter
I'm racking up the hours mowing with this Cub. I'm using the 44" deck and I'm very impressed with how clean it leaves the worked areas. Very even, crisp look. Sharp blades play a role but the barber shop look is impressive over the other tractors I've used. Even calf high grass just lays over nicely cut, no clumping with power to spare. On to some questions.
1) The ground speed is irregular. On level ground the speed is steady. But for a given setting on level ground, going down a slight grade the tractor speeds up; going up even a slight grade it slows down. Engine speed is constant. When I roll over mole hills and irregularities, a rough lawn not pasture, it really bogs and takes more stick action. Overall I'm constantly adjusting the joy stick to keep a pace. Is it the nature of hydrostatic drives? Haven't noticed this on ones I've borrowed over the years.

2) Two oil leaks have turned up. One is the right rear axle end. I have parts, seal, and Hy-Tran on the way. The other is up front by the hydrostatic drive. It's not the oil filter or input shaft seal, but farther back where the unit attaches to the differential. The diagram shows a gasket there. Any tips to share changing the gasket, or are there more concerns to look at?

I checked the spring and slot. As best I could with the tractor in "gear" I observed it while shifting speed or direction. It seems secure in the slot and I could not see any wear, wobble, or elongation as the link suggests. It looks practically new. The cam plate the speed control and brake rod attaches to does have a lot of play and wobble. So either the spring has weakened or the cam plate needs repaired/replaced?

Back