• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Info on diesels

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

displayname
Lyle Baker
I have been thinking of a diesel truck. Any particulars to know about them? Things to watch out for/do, pros and cons. Will be pulling a 5th wheel camper.Lets hear it!!
dunno.gif

Lyle
My son bought a GMC (2006 at the end of the Year), extra cab, long bed, 4 X 4, Duramax, with the Allison 6 speed automatic and he loves it. The engine is really quiet, doesn't sound like a bunch of ballbearings bouncing around under the hood.

It makes about 14 mpg city and 18 mpg on highway/some city.

The long bed has the larger fuel tank which is important.

He bought the 2006 because the 2007 is supposed to have more fiberglass instead of metal in the hood & fenders.

He has a travel trailer that he was pulling with a Chevy Avalance with the big gas v-8 and where he used to have to put his foot in the carb to make it up mountains the Diesel doesn't even slow down.

Pulling heavy loads is the place the diesel with the Allison transmission really shines. I have a motorhome with the Allison transmission and would never buy any pickup or truck without an Allison transmission.

I prefer Fords(wonder why?) Friends of mine have 99 and up and they are happy with their performance. If you buy the 7.3 liter one before the newer 6.0 liter pwoerstroke watch for the frontend to need alignments often because the engine is heavier, and the transmissions weren't completely 'figured out' till the newer. One friend has gone thru 2 second gear clutch packs before his whole trans rebuild to better material/design in only 120,000 mi. Another friends uncle has beat the s out of his 04 with 6.0 and has no problems whatsoever. The dodge with Cummins is okay but their trans' have alot of issues too, along with many others. the best bet is Chevy/GMC with the proven duramax and more than proven Allison trans. Like I said I prefer Ford, but do your homework, look at multiple sites, talk to people with all the makes your looking at and ask mechanics! They will know the best at what problems the trucks DO have, they afterall have to fix them.
wink.gif

In order for the 6.0 to survive, you have to beat the Sh$$ out of it or the turbo gums up.

I have always been a Dodge guy, but the Allison trans makes the sale to Chevy for me. I also hear nothing but good about the Duramax. I had a Chevy with the 8.1L gasser and the Allison. THat was a pulling machine, so I can only imaging the Duramax is better.

Lyle,

You buying new or used?

Starting in 2007, new diesels must meet new EPA polution rules that require you to run ultra low sulfur fuel. The sulfur content must not exceed 15 ppm (parts per million), which cuts the particulate emmisions. There also are rules being phased in between now and 2010 that require a cat converter that cleans up the NOX emmisions. All the makes are scrambling to come out with new engines to meet the NOX requirements and are selling old technology until they do. This is because, in 2007, all they have to do meet the particulate emmision requirement is to require you to use low sulphur fuel.

As far as makes go, the Duramax nickname is Isuzumax because Isuzu has done all GM's diesel design for years now - but since GM sold their interest in Isuzu I don't know what GM is doing about designing the new ones. Ford, as you probably know, runs International engines and Dodge has tied up the Cummins engine by exclusive contract. Dodge announced their new Cummins on Jan 23 and it meets all the EPA specs 3 years early. So they seem to be the leader right now.

In my part time job I get to drive all the makes and Dodges are at the bottom of my list from a driving standpoint. Chev/GMCs will give you the best ride and Ford is close behind. Ignore the ads about pulling power, etc and try them all out to find what suits you best. Getting to the top of the mountain first doesn't matter if the trip getting there beats you up.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys for the diesel info. Let momma read your responses and saved me from a big whippin!!
Looks like the early 07 GMC Duramax, 4WD, long box, 6 speed auto Allison, HD trailering package it is!! They have to install the step up "running boards" and rhino bed spray before I pick it up Wednesday.AND, fill the tank.. Will post a pic when I get it. Thanks again!!
coffee.gif

Jim, The new Fed regs was what stopped me from getting the bowtie. The new 08s,with that modification are showing up at the dealers now. To many unproven, not tried out changes for me.
I bought new, made in Nov 06 for 07. Looks like they start earlier each year. GMC/Chevy same, but what I wanted and the period manufactured, only GMC available.

Glad to see you figured it out. Trust me, from my standpoint, even tho I'm a Ford, I'd go GMC. Don't like the chevy front some much. If the bamking community likes me this year I may have my own new-to-me truck. Not in the market for a brand-new truck yet but hopefully in next few years. Can't wait to see pics!
thumbsup_old.gif
groupwave.gif

Lyle
When you get the step up running boards be sure they extend far enough back do you can get up in the box. I've seen both types, some only the length of the cab and the others back so you can step up to the box, and that is something you need with 4 X 4.

I have an 06 jetta TDI diesel and I am getting 50mpg with it and its only getting better ! in case you didnt neet a truck

All the complexity with the newer diesels makes me love my 1997 GMC 2500 Suburban with the old 6.5L Detroit in it. While not a powerhouse compared to the newer stuff. I have owned both 7.3L IDI and PSD versions, as well as a 12v cummins. All have thier advantages and disadvantages. My 6.5 is cheap to maintain, gets 18ish in the city and around 22 on the highway. Its much quieter than the early power strokes and cummins diesels. As long as you dont expect it to be a PSD or Cummins, it will last and hold together well. I am at almost 200k and running strong. Keeping up with preventive maintance is key. Harmonic dampers are an issue that is resolved by a new fluiddamper that just came on the market, that will save breaking the crank from a balancer failure. The Fuel Soliniod Driver needs moved off the injector pump to a heat sink of some kind to keep it from overheating and failing. The ride is as good as a 3/4 ton can ride. I love it! Cheers Mike

Latest posts

Back