• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

I have a 1864 that I just cannot find a small oil leak

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpate

displayname
william pate
My 1864 has 680 hrs on it.I changed oil two times a year. I cut 1 acre,but this winter setting in the garage,it has a drip on the floor. I clean it up and run it for 15 min. no leak until maybe 2-4 hrs under rear motor mount right side.I think it is the seal on flywheel side.The last three years,I've always use Mobil 1 100% syn. oil.Could that cause the seal to leak and would going back to regular oil help stop the leak.I just bought a zero turn,and would like to sell my 1864,but I would like to have the oil leak fixed first.THX

William Pate: You probably need to be posting this in the "CCC and MTD Machines and Equipment" section of the forum. But I would note that since the engine is mounted at 3 degrees off horizontal, the oil could be coming from anywhere on the right side of the engine. If by "right side" you mean as you are sitting in the driver's seat, it could even be coming from the oil drain pipe and/or fittings; if you're looking at it from the front, it could be coming out the governor cross-shaft. I don't have experience with the V-Twins, my point is that it is hard to diagnose the origin of an oil leak without taking the tins off and thoroughly cleaning the mess up, and then re-checking things. I think some guys have even found leaks on their hydrostatic transmissions by using powder (baking soda?) that turns pink when the hytran hits it.

If the engine has 680 hours on it, it should still have plenty of life left to it.

252530.jpg

The leak is coming from the starter side,where you are setting, it would be on the right. I check all around the top parts this morning, for any oil. Nothing on oil dip stick, are vent tube.It is just wet around the rubber mount closest to the battery. I hate to think about pulling the engine.It only does this after I run the engine,and then leave off about 4 hr later.THX

Latest posts

Back