• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Homemade slip-roll

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkamp

displayname
Dave Kamp
A new subject... I'm considering making a slip-roll machine... for rolling steel-wheel rims and other odd things... here's my goal:

To roll a piece of up to 12" wide mild steel 1/4" thick into a 'ring' down to 12" diameter.

Anyone ever made a slip-roller? Suggestions?

There has been a great deal of discussion on the topic on an other forum that I belong too.
www.weldingweb.com

Hope this helps

Dave K2, is this what you're talking about? This is in Dan's shop.
25163.jpg

Charlie, thanks, I wasn't certain what a slip roll machine was. I should have done an internet search for a slip roll machine. Sometimes I think things through backwards.... :eek:p

That english wheel is for smoothing out metal after you free hand form it with a BFH or other means, grin
They are great for making fenders and gas tanks for cycles.
They can also do a number on your fingers too, LOL BTDT

Kraig -

What, ya go to Dan's house and don't even post pics of the Giddings & Lewis???
lol.gif

Yeah- that's a slip-roll, Kraig... but I don't think that one'd do quarter-inch stock. I figured I'd end up making one just to roll plates no wider than 12" wide, into a diameter no smaller than 20" around. Takes some pretty serious rollers to do 0.250" plate... but having it be narrower helps!

Bryan, is that the machine in the back corner that Dan is completely refurbishing, (including making a brass, or was it a bronze, gear)? If so, when we were looking at it, when I tried to get a photo of it Robb and Art kept getting in the way and when they moved it was only because Dan was showing us something else and I forgot to go back and get a photo.

Kraig -

LOL, that kinda stuff ALWAYS happens at Dan's house, no? As many opportunities that I've had to take pics of the G&L, I've yet to remember to get to it.

That thing is awesome! And now that it's all painted and polished up it looks like some kind of a Willy-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory turned torture machine!

Art, I must have been in your way so you couldn't take a photo of it. :eek:(

This is the best I got of it.
25237.jpg

This one might have been OK had Art not been in the way....... :eek:p

25238.jpg

Hmmm, I was able to find one with Art and Robb both out of the way. :eek:)
25240.jpg

I was trying to stay out of Dan's way, unlike THIS guy! ;-)
25245.jpg

BTW....Look at what machine is in the background, guess neither one of us can win...
happy.gif

Art, I was standing far enough back, Dan had a hammer in his hand! Robb was the one getting in close. I used the zoom to get closer. :eek:)

25247.jpg

25248.jpg

Back