• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

High Activity in this Thread Now!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdiederichs

displayname
Jim Diederichs
I simply want to express my appreciation to all that have made this CCC/MTD thread grow and prosper. There was a time when it was a "forgotten place" and hardly utilized. Lately it has taken off with great enthusiasm. The many contributors have added so much wisdom, Steve and Matt among the many.

Great work, keep it going and thank you to all that participate! We enjoy your many contributions.

Funny, I was just thinking that the other week. I was trying to figure out if the IH were getting old enough that the MTD build ones are getting to be the go-to models. To be honest, it seems the first and second generation MTD models are cheaper (price wise, well... Quality too
shhh.gif
) than the IH ones.

Getting a cheap deal in a good IH Cub is like trying to buy a decent '57 Chevy or '55 F100.

Oh we have some here too,seem like they are starting to show up more than the IH ones Nic !!

309188.jpg

Nice line up.....if they only would have retained the 82 series sheet metal.......sigh.....still good solid machines.

Yellow 82 series style (1050, 1204/10/11, and 1804/06/10/11/12 and corresponding SGT's (1872,2072,1572,1772).......pinnacle of the IH design carried as far as possible before the MTD influence really hit.....

I wouldn't take anything for my 1882 even though it's been giving me fits the past 3 years. I couldn't do without the hydraulic 3 point I put on it and the power steering made it possible for me to keep mowing after I messed up both rotator cuffs and couldn't even pick up a cup of coffee without pain.
BUT ! It has been taking a spell that it wont fire.
It will work fine for months then all of a sudden it wont fire. I've gone through all the switches and changed the ignition switch and PTO switch with no luck. Then one day after sitting for a couple of months it'll start and then a few months later it'll do it all over again.
I've got a new coil pack for it but haven't got brave enough yet to tear into it.

Ken, I'd have to wonder if the wiring is chafed someplace and giving you the intermittent short to ground for the kill wire?. I'm afraid that sooner or later you will have to pull the engine and take a look at the ignition module. After all that work, I'd have a new one on hand and just replace the danged thing. It served well for 25 years, time to retire it...

Jim - What are you calling the ignition module ? I've not seen one that I remember in the diagram.

I've gone over the wiring feeling every bit of it that I could get to and pulled and pushed on the wires going into the engine shroud. Nothing changes.

One reason I dread tearing into it is because of the plastic !! It's on it's last leg and one more tear down and it's shot. The right side panel has lost it's front post and only holding by the dash mount. The grill frame is pieced together with sheet metal and screws holding it together.
I need another anteater whole front body !!!

Solid state ignition module, coil pack, magnetron, etc......all names for ignition module under blower shroud at the flywheel. PITA to get to, so replace it while you're in there.....I've done several. After a while pulling that engine becomes easier than fighting it....

Back