• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Don's Cub Back

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchamberlin

displayname
Jeremiah Chamberlin
Believe it or not, I've got to break this post in two because my first thoughts ran so long. Here is Part One:

Introduction:

Donald Tanner posted:
Begin ============================================
/-1{By Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 03:13 pm:

Paul Bell
What happened to me all the cushion between 4 and 5 leaked out and I have compression on the nerves, much pain and discomfort with it.the doctor wants to fuse 4 and 5 together and hopefully cut my pain level down.I won`t take oxicotton that my doctor wants to give me. I find it hard to want to work on my tractors but unable to do much at all now for two weeks. I not going to anything rash right now but I have to decide if I need 11 Cubs.If I keep them all I will want to take them all apart and refurnish them ,this I know. One day at a time I guess.Thanks, Its nice to know some one else suffers the pain I do lately. I`am headed to my shop and blow some paint and see if I can do it. later Don T}
End =================================================

Don was responding to Paul Bell's encouragement to go ahead and have the surgery. Paul W. Andrews also posted that his surgery, and his life, had been much improved by similar surgery. I haven't had the surgery in question, but I'm concerned about Don and his cub situation. The title of this post is my lame attempt at a pun, a "Cub Back" as in making a "Come Back."

Anyway, the following is addressed to Don:

Don, I really enjoy your enthusiasm on this site. You get so excited about every new project and attack it with such gusto and high hopes. I suffer with you when you discover that in your excitement and anticipation, you have taken "one step forward" but soon discover you've got to take "two steps back." (For instance, I hated it for you when your wheel paint job alligatored up on you.) I don't know about the others, but I suspect many of us have had similar experiences. Setbacks are how one gains worthwhile wisdom, although the really shrewd ones are able to learn from the setbacks of others. In that sense, you've been one of the best teachers around. (You're intended to laugh-out-loud on that one.)

Seriously, you've made great contributions to this site, as many others have attested.

Part Two:

Now about your Cubs. You may well be right, eleven cubs may be too many. I'm sure the wife would be glad to hear that you plan to cut back a bit. I don't know if she's jealous of the attention you lavish on them, but I'm sure she worries about you and your health when you work on them. You two obviously love each other, and I'm sure you'll work it out.

As you reflect on your situation, you may want to consider one man's advice (I think it may have been Charlie), that every tractor deserves an implement; or put the other way round, each implement deserves a tractor to support it. Really, this is a good way of thinking about it. The Cub Cadet was ostensibly built to work: work is it reason for being (I think there is a French phrase for this, like "raison de entre" or something).

Anyway, when surveying your cubbie situation, I suggest you identify (in order): (1) what work you need the Cubs to do, (2) which implement best does each job, and finally, (3) which tractor is most appropriate for each implement. When you've defined your "working set" you might want to designate at least one "spare" in case one of the tractors develops a problem that requires more than an afternoon to resolve. If your pared-down herd includes both wide and narrow frames, you might need to designate two "spares," one for each form factor, since the implements don't often transfer between the two generations.

If the the final set of Cubs does not include your "favorite," then keep your "baby" as a show tractor and "trailer queen." (Notice, that including a show tractor also justifies keeping the trailer to haul it on.) You might also consider keeping one, but only one, Cub Project to restore, just to keep your hand in it. Make your choice more a function of what YOU want to learn, or what you think you can share when you sell it and buy your next project; as opposed to which project may fetch the most money, require the least time, etc.

The point is, as Charlie's signature attests (Every Cub has beauty . . ), there is an INTRINSIC VALUE to Cubs that kind of rubs off on everyone who touches them. A man values his Cubs because he values himself. The Cubs he owns, and their condition, reflect who he is. Speaking for myself and others: we value you for your intrinsic value as a human being independent of your work on Cubs; but we don't learn who you are until we hear and see you working on them. The man and the machine nurture each other, if that's possible. When you discount your involvement in Cubs, we fear you discount yourself, and we don't want that.

So, those are my thoughts on your situation. Like the others, I think your vision will clear as you heal, with or without surgery. You'll know what you need to do. Just keep us informed on developments and know that we all wish you the best.

Jeremiah Chamberlin

My wife read all the posts and she said I should go to the doctor and see after 5 years that now they might be able to give me a better chance at a somewhat normal day with out the pain I now have.A few here have had the same operation and well I guess I should man up and get it done.The pain meds just make me to moody because I can`t do what I want.Maybe I will get back what I lost in movement of my right hand and won`t be dropping wrenches . I "Will" see my doctor asap and get the ball rolling. Thanks To all the well wishers . its much appreciated .
thumbsup_old.gif

Donald T. Jeremiah has provided some very well thought out advice and I am glad to hear that you're taking the right steps. As always.... Angel and I will be keeping you in our prayers.

Guys I lost a good friend and they are hard to come by.I sat with him at his home at 7.30 in the evening on Tuesday . he asked me to cut his grass . My answer was sure will, Wednesday morning.So a 9.30 am I drove up with the Diesel truck and my cargo trailer with my Zeroturn and saw a few more than normal people. His wife came out and thanked me for showing up and she said BIll passed at 6.15 this morning. I told her that as promised I will mow the grass for Her. It was very odd to mow grass and have over 10 people watch me.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/classifieds/announcements/obituaries/labrador-william-olaf-77-wileville-lunenburg-co-passed

beerchug.gif
For You
old.gif

Donald T. Actually there were 11 individuals watching you. You just didn't see him smiling and saying "Thank You!!!". Angel and I will keep both you and his family in our prayers.

Don, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Latest posts

Back