• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

FYI - Why Make Your Passwords Long?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Mo

displayname
Terry Reed
Why You Make Your Passwords Long

Have you ever wondered how long it takes an attacker to try all possible pass-words of five lowercase letters from a-z? Well, there are only 265, or about 11 million total passwords to guess during a brute force search. With the sophisticated password cracker programs, this isn’t rocket science.
Searching dictionary words might even more quickly find the password. An eight character password, chosen from lowercase and uppercase a-z, plus digits 0-9 is a much larger space of passwords to guess by brute force, 628 or about 200 trillion, and is more difficult to find with dictionary attacks, too.
These are all worst case efforts, and the National Institute of Technology & Standards (NIST) estimates far less entropy in user chosen passwords. Having less entropy means that attackers can use heuristics to search the password space more intelligently than brute force.
Attackers also harness the parallel processing power of graphics cards to help with their attack. But, for brute force attacks, assuming 10,000 password attempts per second, the length and character set of the passwords can make a big difference.

Time to brute force password space, assuming 10,000 attempts per second:
Length—5 characters
√ Lowercase only—19 min
√ Upper/lowercase, digits—1 day
√ Upper/lower/digits/punctuation—8 days

Length—6 characters:
√ Lowercase only—8 hrs
√ Upper/lowercase/digits—65 days
√ Upper/lower/digits/punctuation—2 yrs

Length—7 characters:
√ Lowercase only—9 days
√ Upper/lowercase/digits—11 yrs
√ Upper/lowercase/digits/punctuation— 200 yrs

Length—8 characters:
√ Lowercase only—241 days
√ Upper/lowercase/digits—692 yrs
√ Upper/lower/digits/punctuation— 19,000 yrs

Length—9 characters:
√ Lowercase only—17 yrs
√ Upper/lowercase/digits—42,000 yrs
√ Upper/lower/digits/punctuation— 1.8 million yrs

TERRY - The IT Zombies pretty much set the PASSWORD rules any place I've worked. The rules have always been 6 to 8 characters, upped/lower case letters & numbers only.

Guess they want Us to practice Safe Surfing or whatever!

Yep,

Mine are all at least 8 character, and letters, numbers and "special characters". I am not paranoid, but they are out to get you...... I am also an IT guy... so I get to enforce the rules set by the "IT Zombies"......

We have very strict password rules at work. I work for a large abbreviated telecommunications company
angel.gif
and we even have a system from a company called RSA, which give you an electronic device that uses a userid, pin and passcode the is generated by the device, that changed every minute..... nearly impossible to hack that password......

SCOTT - You were one of about SIX IT professionals here that I thought of when I made that comment. ;-)

Most systems wouldnt allow a brute force attack, they dont allow multiple attempts. Wifi might be vulnerable, or devices that they can get thier hands on, like a PC or something. I bigger issue is using the same password for websites. The best solution is to use a password manager. Here is an artical that talks about 4 of them. I keep an easy to remember password in my head and highly random passwords on the sites i visit.

http://mylifescoop.com/featured-stories/2010/09/5-tools-for-keeping-track-of-your-passwords.html?page=2

Latest posts

Back