• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Farmall 230 years ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Dennis - What years were the 230s made and when did they change from the round grill to the flat grill ?

I had a fast hitch narrow front for a while with the round nose , should'a kept it but that dang front end was dangerous ! I didn't like it coming up on me in the garden but man it sure turned quick. It was rough 'cause somebody had tried to log with it and flipped it.

A friend of mine traded a 2 ton IH truck to it and put a brand new carb on it then I traded a Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw for it , then sold it and a 2 bottom plow for $500.

229332.jpg

I believe the 230 became the 240 in 1959.
dunno.gif

229334.jpg

Here's some info on the 240.

229335.jpg

229336.jpg

Kraig - I'm thinking that I've got a saved pic somewhere of your 240 scan that had 230 on it.
I think ... CRS

Hmmm, I wonder what scan that would be???

I'd love to have a 240.

I believe both the 230 and 240 are descendants of the old C/Super C. I grew up driving a C. One of my cousins now has it. He bought it from my parents a few years back and overhauled it. He custom built a 3 point lift for it and uses it with a rear 3 point mount mower to mow his property. One of these days I need to get over to his place and see how he did the 3 point.

I was thinking that the 230 was about the same size as the H that my Great Uncle had. He got rid of it to many years before I got the 230 to really remember their size difference.

I was driving the 230 home when I traded for it , had the 2 bottom on. I was running hammer down when I went across a RR crossing and I suddenly found out that the lift leaked down ...
It was a wonder that:
a) I didn't break something
b) I didn't rip out the rail
c) I didn't end up looking up at the sky

<font color="0000ff">EDIT</font>
I just remembered that on the trip home , about 6 miles ... I had a steep hill to go up just about a mile from the farm. I had to down shift just before the crest and the stupid front came up on me when I let out the clutch. The 2 bottom made a good wheelie bar !

KEN - Sorry I didn't see your post until today. The 230 replaced the 200 which was the newer version of the C/Super C. They were the next size smaller Farmall than the H but it was a small step smaller. My Fast-Line tractor guide says the 230 was estimated at 26 PTO HP, which is about what an H made back when they were built in the '40's. The C/SC.200/230/240 used the engine block as a "stressed member", there was no frame channels for mounting implements like on the H&M, there were just machined pads with tapped holes on the frt bolster & clutch housing.

The C/SC/200/230/240 also had hex-shaped rear axle carriers while all the larger Farmall's used more of a square rear axle carrier.

I only remember one, maybe two of them around home growing up in the 1960's. Many people thought the H was too small back then and I would kinda tend to agree with them. I tried to use the Super H on many jobs that an M would have been much better at. Two in particular were pulling the peg tooth harrow on plowed/disced ground and rotary-hoeing corn. I pulled the old worn-out 20 ft peg tooth harrow with the straight '39 H a time or two, and with it's almost bald 10-39 GY tires it spun enough to easily run in it's 5 mph 4th gear. The Super H could run O-K with the 20 ft harrow in it's 6-1/2 mph 4th gear. But when Dad traded for the new 24 ft Kewanee harrow and we put clamp-on duals on the SH to eliminate all slippage it had it's hands full. And rotary hoeing corn is a job meant for SPEED. Dad had a '47 or '48 M as his main field work tractor before he traded it for the Super M-TA that had the M&W 9-speed O/D in it, four faster speeds between the 5 mph 4th gear & 16 mph 5th gear and it was a great harrowing & hoeing tractor, get it up into the 8-11 MPH gears and make the dust fly!

Latest posts

Back