• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

European McCormick Tractor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
Found this on a calander from Europe my wife gave me.
McCormick Intl Harvester 353
3 cyl watercooled IHC-D 155 Diesel
2536cc (216 ci)
34hp @ 1900 rpm
Trans is 8fwd/2rev
weighs 1965kg (3423#)
Built in 1970

254915.jpg

International Harvester was international in scope. They had plants in Doncaster, England, Nuess Germany, one in France, Mexico, Canada, Australia, dozens all over the US.

Lot of duplication of production equipment back then. Wasn't until the late 1970's that IH decided they needed to build a "World Tractor". The '84 & 86 series from about 1976 was the first models sold world-wide. Not so much the 86-series, but the 84 series. Skidded units consisting of the engine, transmission, chassis were sent from Doncaster England to LVL where US sourced tires, wheels, rims were installed for shipment to dealers. Most of the 86-series were built at FARMALL and shipped direct to the proper country in Europe. We had decals in at least four languages.

A lot of the British built smaller tractors like that 353, both older & newer models found there way into Canada, and eventually found there way south of the border.

I've got pic of a very similar IH tractor on a dealers lot in West Germany from 1972. Sorry, but it's not in my computer pic gallery....
bash.gif

Paul knows this as well, the RPM forum is a true "International" group. We've got several guys from various European countries, and there's some real comedians from Australia and New Zealand.

Always seems like RED tractors loo great when having their pictures taken in snow.

So were the European tractors engineered in the USA or in the same plant as they were assembled?

Did they use local content for purchased parts...LUC clutch, Bosch electrical? I am just curious about these. Neighbor had a 454 which seemed very Euro, although I never got to drive it.

JIM - Yes, the tractors were designed by the plants that built them. They would share certain things, like the early BM's, "British M's" looked a lot like the FARMALL M's built in Rock Island, the sheet metal, major castings, ALL the same as the M's, but they had an integral 3-point hitch, direct start diesel engines, still used band brakes after Rock Island switched to disk brakes. I suspect all the castings and stampings were made in England.

I know the French plant built a lot of small diesel powered tractors, little 2 & 3 cyl direct start diesels. They also built a duplicate of the Farmall CUB, called the Super CUB, but I think it was gas-powered. Looked very similar to a US built CUB.

Same thing with Geelong, Australia, we shipped them a couple containers of parts every month, mostly machined rearend housings, gears & shafts. I suspect they got engines from Melrose Park, IL, and even Nuess Germany. And everything else they bought locally. They were a "model behind FARMALL", while Farmall was building 786,886,986,1086,1486,1586's, Geelong was building 966's, and before that they built 956's while Farmall was building 966's. Same thing with Saltillo, Mexico, we shipped them some 86-series parts every month to build 56 & 66-series.

I think IH originally used LUCAS electrics, but eventually went to Bosch. Not sure about the clutch, may have been LUK. But then they may have bought them from Rockford Clutch in Rockford, IL like FARMALL did. IH was pretty proud the the "Dyna-Life Clutch" they worked with Rockford Clutch to create, used 4 or 6 pads of ceramic and copper for the friction material depending on size of the tractor. FARMALL started using them in the mid-1960's, but not sure if other countries used them then or not. IH even offered them for sale for the old M's & H's for a period of time.

IH did do a lot of shipping of parts between plants. When I started in Production Scheduling at FARMALL, we had "Collateral Parts", that we shipped to LVL & East Moline, machined gears mostly. Some plants like foundries existed simply to cast & machine parts. IH still has a foundry in Waukesha that a former co-worker of mine set-up their machine shop to ship finish machined parts from probably 30 yrs ago. But most plants did have a finished product they built. Like Melrose Park, IL, they built IH crawler tractors on one side of the aisle, and machined & build IH 300 & 400-series diesel engines on the other. Canton, IL made moldboard plows, but also shipped a LOT of fabrications, like the entire frt frame weldment of the 2+2 tractors, and some smaller stuff that transferred from IH East Moline like the cab steps, battery boxes, 3-pt hitch lower arms and top links for the 86-series.

Back