• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dixon ZTR

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtunison

displayname
Richard Tunison
A friend of mine knew an older gentleman that was going to sell his mower as he just couldn't use it anymore. The Kohler was rebuilt in 2007 with full documentation and he kept records of everything. The hour meter shows 997hrs. He bought it in July of 1997 for $5,600.00. Amazingly the deal included brand new bearings,spindles,idler pulleys, 4 sets of 3 cutting blades, doubles of every belt on the thing, ignition switch, circuit breaker, oil filter, 3 air filters with pre filters, and the list goes on!!

It runs and operates as is!!!! I even cut some grass with it. lots' O FUN. The wife said I had not smiled that big in quite a while when I tested the Zero turn capabilities. That was fun!! (only do this on weeds or dirt as it will tear up sod)

It does have some issues of course but nothing critical or expensive. The gentleman maintained it well.

Having this machine in the stable will allow me to build up the Killer Kohler to go into the tired 129 and continue with the 149 refurbish.

I hope the 129 doesn't pee on it in the middle of the night.

Three Franklin's made the deal

213483.jpg

213484.jpg

213485.jpg

Richard,
Dixon was one of the first to make zero turns, Excel Industries (Hustler) was the first back in the 60s. Most of the earlier Dixons were made for residential use - the last few years they began to get into the commercial field. That one is a residential unit.

I worked on an old Dixon back in the 90's when dad and I ran the shop. That was belt driven real similar to an old mini crawler I had when I was a kid. Dixon has come a long way.

Thanks for comments and information guys.

It's definitely going to take a while to get used to.... I had some pucker moments while mowing around trees and other things!!

For the money and the time it frees up for the other projects I'm happy.

I do think it is butt ugly though.......LOL

Well, the Kohler MV16 quit charging the battery.
I do all of the electrical tests according to the manual and it boiled down to the rectifier. Then I find the rectifier has been installed backwards in the engine tin and find this........The connector had been rubbing on the flywheel!

228109.jpg

Then pulled the rectifier and found it had "walked out" of the pot metal.

228110.jpg

I proceeded to remove the flywheel to have a look at the stator and found this.

228112.jpg

Cleaned everything up, new connector and installed the new rectifier and all is well.

228111.jpg

Gotta' love these Kohler twins for smooth power and ease of working on them.

Richard, that stator cleaned up nicely. Well done.
thumbsup.gif
What did you use to clean it?

I forgot about this thread. Sorry.

I used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner found most everywhere for the final cleaning. I did gently use a screwdriver and vacume to to get the heavy stuff. It had previously had blowby problems on the left cylinder and out the breather that was repaired with the rebuild.

Thanks for fixing the post Kraig. I was pulled away before I could get things aligned and I just posted.

Latest posts

Back