• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Diesel Replacement Batteries

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcuster

displayname
Bryan Custer
I did an archive search and didn't find much info re: replacement batteries for the diesels (782D, 882, 1512, 1572, 1772). I saw a post by Marlin H. about a 700 CCA Interstate replacement battery, but their website isn't very friendly when trying to find battery sizes/CA/CCAs.

The previous owner of my 782D replaced the battery with an automotive size with side posts - but also hacked the dash panel to fit it in there.
bash.gif

What group battery do I need to look for (26 or 70), and what highest CCA battery do you have in your diesel? Marlin, do you still know what Interstate battery you were referring to??

n Custer. Try here... Click here to give a broader search. I do know that Interstate has a 700 amp battery for the 782D only it is expensive. You're right about the site not being as user friendly. Most of the time I don't use the D in the winter and if I do since I don't have a battery charger, I plug it in and let it warm up. Then about ten minutes before trying to start it I hook up a running Cub Cadet to help warmrefresh the 782D's battery.

I do remember one of the fellas saying the installed a Mazda Miata (?) battery in. They just had to add side posts. Hope this helps.

So what group battery should I go with? The automotive battery in my 782D had to be notched at the base to clear the water pump hose. I put a metal hose clamp around the hose to prevent damage from vibration.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I also use a cheapo Harbor Freight trickle charger that does a great job of keeping the battery topped off.

Bryan C. I'd go with what Charlie says. I'm pretty sure that is what our 782D has in it. The store should have the size. Mine is the same size as I put in the other Cub Cadets. Offhand and without going out to the garge I can't remember CCA. The 700 CCA will be if i recall slightly bigger in size however Travis Schwizer said they'll still fit and clear the hood. My store had one only the over $100.00 price was more than I could afford. What I'd do is find good replacement parts for your 782D and then go with the Workaholic in the biggest CCA you can get. Your Harbor Freight trickle charger will keep the battery strong and the engine heater will be a big help in starting in cold weather.

Bryan, I have an Interstate MD-40 in my 1512. I believe it is 340CCA and 425CA. Works great in the summer. In the winter, sometimes I have to just have a charger next to it and hit it with the "Start" setting from my charger. I don't leave it on the charger, just have it there in case I haven't used the 1512 in awhile. My Cub Cadet dealer installed it for me a few years back. I haven't used the 1512 this winter, forgot to put the 54" blade on it before it started snowing, and didn't have anyone around to help with the blade and weights this year.

I have a 1572. I went to NAPA and got a battery for a Mazda Miata. It works well. Napa part # 8AMU1R. Its a Sure Start 65. Group says MIATA, no numbers or anything like that. 400CCA max, 320 continuous. Hangs in there really well compared to a garden batt. Mines been going for approx. 3 yrs now.

i think keep up on your connections my 782d had a 280 cca cheap battery in it when i bought it owned it for 2years and i sold it with the same battery in it still started good i have a 350 cca in my 1572 and it doesnt do any better

Thanks for the feedback and some part #s. I like the side post configuration best.

Bryan
I have a regular old off the shelf garden tractor battery in my 782D. I did the starter upgrade and newer style glow plugs. New positive and negative cables on the battery. It sits in the unheated garage with the door open most of the time. With the minus temps and snow lately. Tractor supply 10-40 oil. The longest I glow the plugs is one minute and the tractor has been starting fine. Why spend the big bucks on the battery when the starter and glow plug upgrade will do just fine.
JOe

I haven't done either of the upgrades yet, but I've heard the glow plug upgrade is worth it!

Latest posts

Back