• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dead 1512 Glow Plugs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthreet

displayname
Darrin Threet
I need help troubleshooting the glow plugs on my 1512. I don't know where to start.

Thanks

Darrin, I'm not familiar with diesels, but later tomorrow more people should look in and help.
Meanwhile, go to the bottom of the Forum homepage and click on 'wiring diagrams' then work your way to the 1512 diagram. Plugs look rather simple...in the past some members put a relay in the plug circuit to handle the power, but not sure how they did it. A.

Darrin Threet

I can post some pictures of what I did to my 1512 Diesel in the am. It is a simple thing to do and pictures will work best. I can also give you replacement glow plug numbers then also. later Don T

Two simple tests for the glow plugs with a 12 volt test lamp. To check for power to the glow plugs. Connect the clamp end of the test light to the negative battery post. Touch the point of the test lamp to the Positive battery post. The lamp should glow bright. Now touch the point of the test lamp to the hot wire on the glow plug. Turn the key to glow position. The test lamp should glow as bright as when you touched it on the Positive post of the battery. If so then you are getting good voltage to the plugs. A volt meter may show 12 volts but not amps, and you need the amps. Second test is for the glow plug itself. Disconnect the hot wire to the glow plugs. Disconnect the jumper wires to the other two glow plugs. Connect the clamp end of the test light to the Positive battery terminal. Touch the point end of the test lamp to the Neg battery terminal. The lamp should again glow bright. Now touch the point end of the test lamp to the top threaded end of each glow plug. The lamp should glow as bright as it did when you touched the Neg battery post. If it does not light then the glow plug is bad. Hope all this touching made sense. Joe

Joe, in looking at the wire drawing there seems to be a light bulb in the circuit with the plugs. If actually so, is it possible the plugs woun't work if the lamp is blown? <font size="-2">(Just a thought from someone who doesnt know diesels.)</font>

the thing that looks like a lightbulb in the wiring diagram is a wire coil that is a indicator that heats up to indicate the heat of the glowplugs. The glowplugs should get 12v even if the indicator is faulty. Joe's testing of the glowplugs is a good test, but also test the voltage the indicator is to limit the voltage from what I've been told. You can go under manuals to get the manual for the Kubota engine. Good luck, also there is two different glowplugs. So check, and if I remember correctly someone had the part numbers and how to install a relay and the new ones.

Sorry I have have not posted what I said I would on the 1512 glow plugs and wiring changes I made. My mother just had a Cancer operation and that scare took all my time.

Rick Wagner

You are correct that coil of wire is to indicate power to the glow plugs.When it glows red that is to indicate the glow plugs glowing.The problem is that they take away from the 12 volts to the glow plugs and then they don`t get as hot. They also can`t handle 12 volts and are controlled buy the glowing Resistance from the glow plug indicator. I will post glow plug number in the am , that info is already posted on my 1512 for the dog rebuild.I think you will find all the info there that you need. I have posted the new glow plug numbers and how to rewire the glow plugs on there. I also found some info here IH Cub Cadet Forum * CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment * Diesel glow plug wiring update. I will post the glow plug number in the am. The search for my 1512 D info won`t come up , so I can`t give you a link. later Don T

Darrin Threet

The glow plugs I used are NGK 2031 Y-103V .The old original glow plugs won`t take 12 volts and the glow indicator drops the voltage down so they don`t blow. These will take all the 12 volt power and heat faster if you by pass the glow indicator by removing one wire and then put it on the other post.Even in winter my 1512 Diesel starts good and I have had no problems.follow the Diesel glow plug wiring update and you will have no starting problems. Well I also did put on the better starter
happy.gif

Thanks for the replies. I had to use jumper cables to straight wire the glow plugs the other day to get it cranked. It had been cranking fine until now. I know the glowplugs are okay.

Darrin

Latest posts

Back