• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Dave S. Cub Cadet 70 August 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen's pic.
321952.jpg

We have high-jacked David's thread.
facepalm.gif

David,

Any progress on your 70? Too dog-gone hot and humid here to do anything.

Digger thank you very much for the help. Dave I'm new to this forum stuff I'm very sorry if I jumped in the middle of your thread I'm just figuring this stuff out

No problem fella's.
Marty, got it apart some more and waiting on a driveshaft at the moment.
Guess I'll have to destroy the steering column grommet to get it out to remove the column for rehab it's so petrified. Either that or figure out how to get the end cap off the tube.
I can't stand a GT that wanders all over the place making one think the operator is drunk!!
It's amazing how many so-called 'restored' tractors, in some cases, have inches of play in the steering!!

David,

Take the steering column loose and slide it up to give you some room to get at the ring.
Take a block of pine wood and use it for a "punch."
Go around the ring tapping on the wood lightly, and the ring should eventually come off with no damage.
I have taken grommets out and they were good on the bottom, and cracked on top. I put Armorall on it and put it back in upside down. Looks like a new one.
thumbsup_old.gif

Speaking of that steering column grommet that is NLA, I had a friend make me some new ones using his 3-D printer. Made with a flexible rubber material. New grommet is on the right. Amazing what can be done these days.

322002.jpg

322003.jpg

Kirk, very cool that your friend was able to reproduce that! By chance do you have the dimensions for that grommet?

Has anyone checked McMaster-Carr to see if they have a grommet that is close to it's size?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don't go with a new one from Steiners whatever Ya do.
They won't fit the tower metal, groove is too thin/skinny.
They barely fit the late models dash tin, no way will they fit a tin and the tower metal or tin and fiberglass dash panel.

Well, I just couldn't stand to look at this thing in this condition any more as it is mostly apart!!
So, the frame an other large parts are off to the sand blaster tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'll be visiting Cub-a-Rama this coming Friday.

After a quick flush, the rear end looks to be in great shape!!

322609.jpg

Ugh....This don't look to promising though....

322610.jpg

This is why we don't store these things outside. According to the PO, this poor Cub is the victim from years of sitting out in the elements.
I am surprised the shifter even moves, however, I have seen worse as I suspect many of you have also

322611.jpg

Back