• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

D600 Diesel Diagnosis

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proessler

displayname
Paul W.Roessler
882/D600 dipstick 3/8" overfull with < 20 hours on oil/filter change. Oil color the usual black,Not milky white. Black smoke only @ acceleration. Good power. Rings ? Injection pump seal ? Opinions please...

My guess is if the water coolant level stays were it should that it is Diesel fuel. Now to find were the problem is? More than likely it is coming from the injector pump since the engine only smokes on acceleration. Does the engine seem to have a loud knocking noice when it is warmed up? My guess is O rings in the pump.

No knocking either, Just that sweet diesel/smoker sound ! My uneducated guess is pump orings too...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Paul,
Are you sure you are reading it right? I made that mistake one time on my 882. There was a "1" in the part # that I thought was the full mark. Turns out the actual full mark was about 1/2" above that.

Todd, The top mark/Full mark, I think is where the dipstick goes round to flat. Now oil level is above that mark by about 3/8". I've read up on the injection pump in the service manual, probably just buy new as rebuild could/ will cost as much...
sad.gif
Lookin' for a bunch of Lucky Lottery #'$...

To check for coolant in the oil, let the tractor sit overnight, then carefully loosen the oil drain plug over a container. Back out the drain plug until it is nearly out, then carefully remove it only slightly from the pan. You want to get a few drops, not dump the oil.

If there is coolant, it always comes out first, as it does not remain mixed with oil, it seperates if you let it sit. The coolant will be at the bottom, first to come out if there is any.
If there is, hopefully a head gasket will be the cure;however it could also be a cracked head or (yikes!) a cracked block.

Next let's say this check shows no coolant in oil, you can sometime smell the diesel fuel in oil if dilution is bad enough. The first item I would suspect would not be o-rings, but an injector nozzle that doesn't seat. The tractor may still sound ok and run fine, but a leaking injector nozzle will still allow enough fuel into the cylinder to show up in your tractor's oil.
The best way to know is to remove the injectors and take them to a diesl service center near you. They will know what to look for and have the right test equipment. This service is not a big expense (testing the injectors) and if a nozzle or three is worn/bad/leaking all that should be replaced is the nozzle, not the entire injector. Not sure on the Kubota/Cub price, but many nozzles are ~$80 per cylinder. That is the most cost effective fix; think of it as $$ spark plugs in an import car.

I'd call around for pricing to test the injectors, some places are much higher than one down the street so do some calling first. Some Cub Cadet dealers are now set up for this. Typically the Kubota shops are more $$ I just don't believe you have an o-ring failure based upon your description. And remember, if it is an injector diluting that oil, it is also washing oil off the cylinder walls, so don't delay in repairs.

Looks like part number KB-15841-53000, $147 from CC
sad.gif

A quick google search reveals that they are ~$70 elsewhere online. I'll be watching this too, as I think my 782D may have a similar problem.

I should have mentioned that my number came from the parts lookup...I guess those are higher yet.

Jim No water in bottom of oil pan. Got #'s of a few Diesel shops in area. Been busy , hope to make calls soon.I've got local Kubota dealer that I 've ordered parts from before...

Got new glow plugs installed....
sorry.gif
all this warm weather has been a negative influence on my brain cells... I misplaced somethin'...mea culpa!

Back