• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet Model 128 and 129 ???????

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhutchison

displayname
Leslie Thomas Hutchison
Hi-- I have a CC 128 gear drive and a CC 129 Hydro drive. I cut grass/ pull trailer
/plow a garden. I do not tractor pull.

What is prefereed/ better -- hydro or gear drive?

Both are in good shape.

I need to keep only one of the 2.......

Thanks.

Leslie Thomas Hutchison

You should post this question on the main form page,You are asking questions about pre 81 Cub Cadets and this is the area for after 1981.

Gear drivers a better for pulling a plow in soil.

Hydro give much better control over speed and power for snow blowers and other attachments. I would say a hydro is best for your needs,but I`am sure some gear drives guys would diagree.
old.gif

Oh Leslie, Leslie, Leslie, You have "reopened" the can of worms. Keep 'em both and always be happy!
angel.gif

It's a personal decision. Both will do what you want, If both are in similar shape thier probably worth about the same. I'd be with Tom (keep them both, but that wasn't an option)

Leslie-

The hydro will make for happier mowing with the quick forward and reverse and no foot pedaling. The 129 was one of the most popular models for mowing among past owners. I believe I heard with the 44" deck but several models work on it. The 128 would be the best choice for gardening especially if it has a creeper gear. I've heard it handles the rear tiller better and I personally think gears are better for pulling plows.

I've never heard of anyone just needing one. I'd keep them both even if you have to leave one outside (covered, of course).

My .02 worth...

If you post this in the main forum you should get a lot more response.

Bought a new 128 in '73 when I was working at an IH dealer, was great start for the love of Cub Cadets. But then traded for a new 1450 in '78 to keep up with mowing a dozen yards in the Mad City for extra income. And more Man Toys...Now I have 582 & 782 to rebuild and I am always lookin' for more. Keep BOTH!!

Hey, wait a minute>>>>>>> shouldn't this be in the main forum? The 128-129 sure isn't a CCC or a MTD.

Back