• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Cub Cadet 2072 with 450 Snowblower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

The quick pins weren't the best idea. There is alot of strain at that point, that is why the weld nuts were added later on. I have the 1/2-13 capscrews going to the weld nuts and this seems to work well. Use lockwashers so they stay tight or they will gradually loosen (BTDT)

I had a weld nut break off due to a poor factory weld on a 1872 once. It was simple enough to install a standard hex nut inside and wrench things tight so I could finish the season.

Thanks Jim, I am going to order the nuts and other hardware from mcmaster Carr. Do you know if the Quick pins were 3/4" dia. That is the size of the hole on my blower but it may have been modified. Does your carrier use both quick attach points used for the mower carrier( large bolts to slide in and 1/2" rod to latch it in)? My 1/2" rod was never installed. I look forward to sorting out the attachment and lift fit up. I only hope I can beat the snow Thanks for you help, John

John,

I have owned all three of the series, the 450,451 and now the 551 and none used a quick attach rod, believe it or not. All three of mine used the same 1/2"-13 capscrews and weld nuts. I have had them on an 1864 reg. frame and a 2284 and 1782 Super.

I don't know if that helps or confuses the issue, but that is my experience. Art if you are out there what is used on your set up? I like having them bolted tight.

I think I would actually prefer the pto shaft used on the model 364, but that never got used on any later models of CC. That convoluted belt drive has caused me headaches over the years. Always fails at the most inopertune times, where a pto shaft setup looks much more logical. I need to remember that the same basic blower was used on many, many variations of MTD tractors from White and Yard Man to all the private labels.
feint.gif

Jim Diederichs
My 450 snow blower had a tapered stud that turned into a nut in the front frame corners. I found the stud would work loose because they don`t have many threads.; so I then put a longer bolt with a lock washer to get it to fit snug. It does take a little longer to install but I know it won`t fall off .

Thanks Guys I am on my way. hardware is coming. I saw that they show the install of the quick attach bar in the manual .I wondered if it made setting the 1/2'-13 bolts easier. Are the pivot brackets parallel to each other were they attach to the blower housing? my left side (Chute handle) is in the middle and the right side is up higher, the height where the chute bracket bolts in. It looks wrong but the manual wasn't so clear John

Yes Don, those evil tapered studs were used for a brief time....bad idea. They would frequently loosen and often the frame that attaches to the tractor would get bent (one tapered coming loose)
bash.gif
angry.gif

Still have not read anything about the quick attach bar in my old manuals, probably another one-year-wonder idea.

The stepped weld-nuts and 1/2-13x 1.25" capscrews are shown in many parts breakdowns for the 364 and 450 blowers, if you wanted to order the weld nuts from CC.

Correction to previous post: The pilot weld nuts are no longer available from Cub. The part # was 712-0231. Those are available in many hardware shops in the Hillman drawers.

Jim, I found the weld nuts at mcmaster carr If anyone needs some I will have a bag of 23 left over. Also they have hardened bushings to reduce the 11/16" quick pin mounting hole on the carrage down to 1/2" for the bolt. I still wonder about he pivot bar as they look like the should bolt centered on either side of the impeller housing? John

Hi All,
I got the 450 on my 782. Tried it out on 6" of snow a couple of weeks ago. Snow removal was like going to get the mail. Three passes on the driveway and back in the shed. Does anyone know a cheaper grease to grease the gearboxes I just spent 44.00 for the two 8 ounce tubes I needed. I will try to get some photos of the install. I fabricated and installed the quick attach rail that was not there. It made getting the bolt alignment very easy. After tightening up some slop with washers the blower lifts up level +/- 1/2" and 5" off the ground. That is alot higher than the Haban h-42 on my other 782. John

test...
Nice try on the test Paul, But you dint pass, close though.
254816.jpg

You forgot to hit that dang Enter key! LOL
Charlie was here.

Finally success!

Thanks Jeff, Is Charlie out there, Still ? I am a Slow learner...
whistling.gif
I gave it 24 hours 'til I returned... PWR

To paraphrase Hank Will, the 2072 (20hp SGT) was available in early 1987. Quote: "The pinnacle of early-style Super Garden Tractors had to include the model 2072. Tractors such as these often found work maintaining large estates and corporate grounds". pp. 41 - "50 YEARS OF CUB CADET".

Now to go get gas and continue mowing with the 1811 Oddball.
happy.gif

hopefully heading out to pick-up my "new 2072" in an hour.

Latest posts

Back