• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1800 Electric Clutch Problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemerest

displayname
Dale Demerest
The electric clutch/PTO on my 1800 started cutting out intermittently and I would have to cycle the switch to re-start it.Now it quit working altogether.It started doing this at the end of last summer so I replaced the switch.It still cut out a couple of times after replacing the switch and then it was OK until now.I know it's not the clutch because I hot wired it and it worked fine.I have my doubts that it's the switch but I'm not sure.Any ideas?
Thanks,Dale

Dale - check your wiring for safety switches, especially the no cut in reverse switch and wiring. I have seen many problems lately with that switch and wiring. Also make sure you seat safety switch is working properly as well.

The reverse cutout was disconnected by a previous owner long ago.The seat switch seems to work OK but maybe I will try continuity checks to make sure the associated wiring has no breaks in it?

Dale, a friend of mine has a newer Cub Cadet and had a problem when cutting his back yard, when hitting some high spots or tree root bulges, his butt bounced on the seat and the PTO cut out!. So besides checking the wires, is it possible switch is mounted such that its too sensitive to movement?? ie: can you raise switch closer or put something under seat to give more switch throw ?? Just my 2 cents. A.

I don't suspect the seat switch because the PTO is completely dead.I can sit on the tractor while it is running and cycle the PTO switch and nothing happens.It seems that the system isn't that terribly complicated and that it could only be a few things that would cause it to malfunction.I am reluctant to put another $36 switch in it because they can't be returned once they are opened.

I think the seat switch will actually kill the engine. Check your air gap on the pto clutch. It's out of specs it'll give you those kind of problems. It could also be your connector at the pto.

Latest posts

Back