• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Corn Shelling Photos 6-1979

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
I found a few photos of the IH Loadstar and Cook's Special sheller that used to shell out our corn cribs. I'm 6 in the photos, my brother 4.

71282.jpg

71283.jpg

71284.jpg

71285.jpg

71286.jpg

71287.jpg

71288.jpg

71289.jpg

Steve - These pics (and the ones over on the cub site) are priceless. I remember those days on the farm when I was that age; seems like yesterday! Thanks for sharing - it's a nice Christmas gift to the forum members!

Steve, more great photos! Say, in that last photo Andy sure looks like little Steve....

BTW, Dad and I were talking about the sheller some more this evening.

The Loadstar has a 392 IH V-8 with the rotary screen off of a 503 combine installed on the grill to keep in clean. (Cheap, light, no-frills truck with a big ass engine!!!!) They shelled in 5th gear (locked the shifter in 5th with a big wire hook, let out the clutch, and wound her up). There was a collar on the tailshaft of the transmission that would lock the trans to the driveshaft for driving, or lock it to a flywheel/pulley for shelling. 5 big V belts ran from the pulley to the shelling rotor (toothed rotor with vanes). Shelling time in the rotor/cylinder was controlled by throttling the gate that allowed cobs out the end and onto the cob elevator. Thsi sheller was a Cook "All Hydraulic" as all of the drives etc. were hyd. powered and variable speed whenever necessary. You can see the flow control for the chain drag speed on the frame work supporting the drag right above the feed elevator.

The big round drum under the feed elevator on the back of the truck is the reel for storing the drag chain.

The shuck wagon had a false front hooked to a cable at the rear. When it was full the rear gate was opened and then a truck or tractor pulled the false front back and stripped out the load of shucks. (I remember thinking it was sooooo cool that you could do that so slick....)

The man in the truck is my Grandfather Harlow, and the crib/farmstead is located on a big hill 1/2 mile north of the plow field. Barn,crib, and dump house are all gone now, but the concrete shed still stands.

As I got old enough, 12 or 13, I followed the sheller around from farm to farm working in the corn cribs. A guy could make alot of money doing this. Maybe 5-6 dollars a day if you worked hard. WooHoo!! My folks got me a motorcycle for 8th grade graduation as Dad was tired of me taking his pickup all the time. Country life Ahhh.

Latest posts

Back