• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Calling all gardeners!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Wyatt, I plant the garlic about 2" deep or to the middle knuckle on my index finger and on a 6"x6" grid.

27713.jpg

One other note on garlic planting. In the north anyway, it is usually planted in the fall just before the ground freezes. I typically plant the cloves in late October. Then after the ground freezes I mulch the garlic beds with several inches of marsh hay.

Wyatt, get a bunch of leaves and shred them up with the mower and till them in. You might have to add a little blood meal (nitrogen) because while the bacteria are breaking down the leaves they'll tie up the nitrogen, just don't add too much nitrogen or all you'll get is green growth and no "fruit".

Kraig-
Already ahead of ya, though it's slower acting I put quite a bit of alfalfa meal into the garden in the fall, had a bunch left over after doing up the flower beds.

One thing I'm definitely not doing again is taking home manure from a dairy again, with only 5 tomato plants I couldn't keep up!

Wyatt, yes and no. You can plant it this time of year but the bulbs (cloves) will be smaller. Your problem will be finding garlic to plant this time of year. I don't mean garlic as found in the produce section.

Wyatt if you want some starters for this fall I can give you some.
chef.gif

Or if you prefer to buy it, I got some of mine from each of these two:

Silver Springs Nursery
HRC 62 Box 86
Moyle Springs, ID 83845
208-267-5753

Territorial Seed Company
P.O. Box 157
Cottage Grove, OR 97424
541-942-9547

--

I was told about these guys, but have never even contacted them.

Seed Savers Exchange
RR 3, Box 239
Decorah, Iowa 52101
319-382-5872

Rick, do you save garlic to replant or do you rebuy each year? I bought seed garlic once in 1993 from Johnny's Seed and have replanted from my harvest each year since. I think it was "german extra hardy" a hardy variety of stiff neck garlic.

Johnny's

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on April 29, 2005)

German (Barvarian) white is mostly what I've got planted too.

This is the first season (planted last fall), I plan on pulling maybe 15-20% back for next year. I've got to get down there sometime soon to starting thining scapes. There being wild grown with minimal attention paid to them.

From "real"
happy.gif
garlic farmers I've talked to, if you go back with a percentage of your own cloves, after the third season it's at it's peak. During the 4th and 5th seasons you need to bring in new "blood" and cut the replant down to 5-10% and make up the difference with new cloves from elsewhere.

But that's something I'll have to learn/experiment with later. I might do a control bed just to see how realistic that is.

Dang - Johnny's is priced really well on the 25# order!

(Message edited by rmunday on April 29, 2005)

Hmmmm, I must be lucky then I've never added any "new blood" and it keeps getting bigger and better. Except for the one year I mulched the bed with compost and when the compost dried out it acted as an umbrella and the bed dried out just as it was "bulbing up".

Kevin L - sorry for hijacking your thread
war.gif

Kraig - thats why I was saying I wanted to test that theory out. I'd think as long as it's a good, healthy crop that year that's what you'd want to put back in. We're not breeding animals here!
happy.gif

Sort of going with Kevin's question about the coons and deer, I had a heck of a problem last year. (at least I think) I had a bird problem, about two weeks before my sweetcorn matured I came home from work and all the ears had the last 2-3 inches cleaned out. The kernels weren't all gone but it's just like all the kernels were poked open. I know we do have deer that make it down the bluff and into town but so far that hasn't been a problem. How do I prevent this supposed bird problem on this years' corn?

OH, speaking of the corn the NK seed packages state populations be something like 1' spaced in 3' rows . . . . was thinking of doing a 5" spacing on 30" rows, still OK?

Rick, the biggest and best bulbs always get saved for replanting. I've had ping-pong ball sized cloves, it's very hard to put those in the ground and not in salsa.

And now for something completely different......

Brandywine tomato anyone? :eek:)
27715.jpg

How about on a burger or two? :eek:p

27716.jpg

Wyatt, you could get some bird netting and drape it over the corn patch. Kind of a pain but then so is going through all the work of planting and cultivating only to have your crop "stolen".

Wyatt, the 7'x100' roll of deer netting that is available at Fleet Farm and Menard's will double as a bird netting.

Kraig,
Awesome Garden !!!!!

Looks like I may not have any Garlic this year. Please let me know when you have extra! And extra Brandwine Tomotoes, Rasberries, and well you know what I mean. Just kidding.

I will definitely have some Brandywine tomatoes this year, plus others.

New house and new garden spot, we'll see how the garden does.

Vince

Thanks for the responses so far. Rick
swear.gif
stop hijacking my thread!

What do you guys DO with all of that garlic? You can't possibly eat it all, can you?

Kraig - nope, no tomatoes or peppers. No one in the family likes them <font size="-2">except for the tomatoes in ketchup!</font>

(Message edited by klindstedt on April 29, 2005)

Vince, thanks for the nice comments. My basement is full of tomato, pepper, and leek seedlings right now. It makes the electric bill higher running flourescent lights for 18 hours a day for months at a time. I forget all about that electric bill when I have my first cheeseburger with a thick slice of Branywine or Rose tomato or that first chip covered in fresh salsa. :eek:)

Very few tomatoes make it off of the property and I don't think I'll have much for extra garlic most of it is already spoken for by my family and co-workers. Perhaps I will get that 1/2 acre planted someday.

Kevin, there are absolutley no vampires in the Somerset, WI area. :eek:)

Actually much of mine goes into salsa and pesto. I give my family members a bunch of it and send some off to other friends and I keep a bunch to replant for the next year. Garlic roasted over an open fire with one of those "pie makers" thingies is awesome! Just pour some olive oil in the pie maker toss in some peeled cloves and roast 'em. I can eat 5 or 6 cloves in one setting. Yum! :eek:)

Hehe
happy.gif

Most of mine will be sold. I will keep some though, I love garlic. Probably going to whip up some garlic mustard too!

Latest posts

Back