• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 14, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtunison

displayname
Richard Tunison
On my way to the mailbox this afternoon something shiny caught my eye in the grass out near the road and upon further inspection it turned out to be a worn steel washer... bent to convex on the shiney side and with a 1/2" diameter hole. First thing I think is whoaa, it must be off of the Cub's mule drive shaft behind the outside cotter pin..but it wasn't as the cub is still whole. It must have come flying off of something driving down the road. I can only imagine.
65000.jpg

65001.jpg

The 129 is ready for tomorrows 2 acres of grass

65002.jpg

Have a great weekend all.

Richard

Fellas,
An update status report on 129 that I hit a tree and broke its front axle:

A friend of mine (whom I trust to be a decent welder) welded the cast-iron axle back together and then we drilled it and installed a splint on either side of the weld. bolts & nyloc nuts should hold the splints; a good degreasing, prime & paint and now it looks pretty good!
I'd like to get a hold of a digital camera for some pics & then try and see if I can figure out out to get them posted on here so you guys can judge the handiwork.

With the axle welded now, new tie rod ends in hand, I am just lacking the new axle pivot pin (ordered, but not arrived yet). Then I should be able to get it back together....
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

65011.jpg

65012.jpg

65013.jpg

65014.jpg

Just wondering how much my cub is worth in the condition its curently in.
All the parts are there just not put together.

Terry B/Charlie -

I don't know what y'all do up in MN, but I ALWAYS keep my delicates covered
lol.gif

I got some seat time tonight on my 1200. The newly restored 50" mower deck worked really well. It was a shame to get the new white powder coat grass stained but its a worker after all. Question I have for the cc experts, is it normal for the coil to get sooo hot that you cannot touch it? I seem to go through my share of coils with this tractor. Last week I mounted the coil to the firewall because vibration apparently caused the tin work around the original mounting surface to crack. The coil is mounted upright and seems to get hot around the top. Any suggestions?

Thomas - Are you using a resistor coil ? If not then you are putting 12+ volts into it when it only needs 6-9 volts. Are you burning points too ?

Thomas B.
I had the same problem with my 1250. I cleaned all the connections and replaced the regulator and it fixed it. I really don't know what the real problem was since i did all that though. I guess I should have fixed it one at a time to see for sure.

Seems that the 30 plus year old belt that was on the mowing deck of my 72 did not want to stand up to mowing down this years sweetcorn crop.

Ken and Charlie,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am using a resistor coil and no I am not having any problems burning points. Just getting tired of buying coils. I'll plan on cleaning all the connections as you did and check the coil to feel for heat. If that doesn't work guess I'll replace the regulator. If this coil dies I was thinking about going with the blue one offered by Kirk engines.

After work today I checked a hot tip about a CC 16hp that the owner was wanting to sell. Turns out its a 1650. Good paint, no rust. Was just rolled out of the barn. Every thing appears to be there. Steering is tight, 50 inch mower deck in very good shape. Missing the aluminum frame that the duct work bolts to. Couldn't start it because the battery was missing and the spark plug had ejected from the head along with the threads. Tires were all aired up and in good shape. I walked away from this however I am having second thoughts. I love my 1200....any advice, comments or suggestions on the 1650?

Lonny B:

1) IH-478881-R3 is the belt for the Cub Cadet Original with a 3-blade 38" deck (85").

2) IH-473462-R4 is for 42" decks made 1963-68 (81").

3) IH-490489-R2 is for 42 inch decks made 1968-71 and 71-73 (80").

4) Ya gotta know which deck you have...

5) I suspect someone need to learn how to navigate the CC parts site.
biggrin.gif

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

I have 1 cub a 282, but I own several green tractors, I found and purchased a Haban 402E sickle bar mower, but when I got home I learned it was built for a wide frame cub, does anyone have any information on this attachment? It is in pretty rough shape, I just want to see if it is complete.
Thanks
Jim

Thomas - You are hooking the coil terminals up correctly ... + to + battery side of the circuit, - to points ?
Another thing I started to mention in earlier post, are you getting a good ground from the battery to the frame or engine ? Direct to engine is preferred.

Thomas, if you have a voltmeter check the voltage across the battery when you are at full RPM's and make sure you are not overcharging. A bad regulator can cause that problem like Charlie mentioned.

Thomas:

In addition to seeing if you are overcharging, are you using the correct Ignition Coil...KH-231281...??

NOT all aftermarket Ignition Coils with resistors are the same. Kohler specifies there resistance value. Thus getting the correct resistance value from the coil, will produce the performance and longevity of the coil.

Lastly, the Ignition Coil itself does NOT require to be ground, but the motor does. The Breaker Points are the ground link to the ( - ) of the coil.

As Richard stated, take an VOM and check the voltage from the Motor Ground to the ( + ) side of the coil. It should not exceed 14.7 VDC.

Thomas; Last week I worked on a 1250 for a friend that had a bad ground on the condenser. The coil was so hot it was smoking. I checked voltage and it was 13.2 on the - side. I installed a external resistor and reduced voltage to 7.8 and the coil cooled down. He called that pm and said it was staying cool. Just my 2 cents. Luther

Latest posts

Back