• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 08, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmiller

displayname
Michael A. Miller
Thanks for the pic Terry B. It looks like your engine is a 1971 also. Anyone know when Kohler changed from the metal plate to the foil tag on their K161?

Terry B.,
Yep you got it!
thumbsup.gif

Digger,
Maybe someone from MTD will fill us in on what the curved arrow in the yellow row is supposed to tell us...... ??

Ryan W
bubbly.gif

Charlie does break axles, just spindles, right;o)

OH, Kraig, where art thou picture guru:eek:)!!!!!

LOL

J.L.
Me!
I've never broken an axle or a spindle.
Now Mike M. on the other hand is a pro at that, but I think he figured out that more weight + more power are not exactly the right way to go when the RIGHT traction is also applied.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help gents - I finally drove out to the CC dealer and paid $37+ for a 954-3003 belt that is 5/8x89.5 inches long. This is for the 44C deck, per the parts man. Sure hated to part with that much money but the tractor is back on duty. I also realized that I'm kinda slow witted...the 72" belt is the deck belt and what I was after was the PTO/Mule belt. Duh.

I'm gonna make a note of all those websites with the parts breakdowns. Very good info to have handy. We might want to update the FAQ with the 5/8 by 89.5 data. I looked at TSC, thinking I'd pick up a spare, but they have either 89 or 90. When the day arrives, I'll buy the 89" and fiddle with the adjuster on the mule.

Been really busy this summer - moved to our new place (40 acres of Michigan paradise), got our old house sold, and moved ourselves...man, that was serious work...three 26' trucks and I don't know how many runs with my 6x12 trailer.

BTW, I have a new guard dog...picture below. He's about 20' long and maybe 12 or 13 tall.

64771.jpg

Craig

Craig - Ya need to feed yer dog a few Deere to put some meat on his bones b4 winter.

On the front axle breaking, i have seen a lot of them that had grooves worn in them from belts rubbing. Maybe thats why IH spec'd the odd length drive belts. Too short and when the axle pivots down one one side it rubs.

Jerry H.-
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Thanks for taking the picture of your wide frame with a narrow frame front axle on it.

Why did you use a narrow frame axle again? Have one laying around?

Kendal H.-

That isn't the belt doing that, it's the mule drive pulley brackets. When the belt's too short or way too tight those brackets contact the axle under certain conditions.

Guys,
I'm pretty sure its the pulleys themself on the mule drive that come in contact with the front axle and cut grooves in it while they are turning.

On my 128, there is one 1/4 inch groove worn in the front axle from the mule drive belt. The only time the belt comes in contact with the axle is with the mower(38 inch) in the fully raised position with the PTO engaged. Dad said the original belt did the same from brand new

First hand on my cub it is the belt, not the mule drive in contact with the front axle

PTO question: Trying to remove the manual PTO from my 12hp off my 126. I've looked at the FAQ's and my PTO is made differently from that one. I have looked at my service manual though, and it says to remove the set screws from the three holes in the pulley housing. The problem is that when I look in those holes I don't see anything that resembles a set screw. There is definitely something in two of the holes but the third is empty (I think) as I can see all the way through it. Are these set screws allen heads, phillips heads??? What size allen? Is it possible that they have rusted to the point that the allen head is now pretty much gone? Suggestions??

Its been awhile since I posted some pics ... so here are some of my herd
64785.jpg

64786.jpg

Jim, your PTO should have 6 set screws,(allen wrench type). 2 in each hole. The holes might be filled with rust/crudd. I would keep soaking with oil and work the crudd out.
Joe

Todd,
I was thinking about all the hacksaw like grooves I have seen cut into narrow frame front axles. I'm not familiar with wide frame tractors like your 128. My bad.
blush.gif

For Holloween I'm going to get one of those archery targets in the form of a deer and stick it in the jaws. A couple of strobe lights and the soundtrack from Jurassic Park ought to complete the package.

My kids already think they can see it move around late at night. They point their flashlights at it and see the shadows wiggle and get themselves wound up. Too much fun. This winter I'm going to make tracks in the snow...

C

Mule Drive -- It is the pulleys that make contact when the drive belt is to short...need to get a longer belt.

Charlie,

I thought there was a pic of you some time back. A before and after shot with a popped wheelie and then broken spindle.

Oh well, sounds like something I would do anyway.;o)

J

Latest posts

Back