• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 20, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike m2,
43179.jpg

43180.jpg

43181.jpg

Yes, Mike, and i have seen rear mounted mowers on OCC's before... Glen.

I thought we were talking about the front?

Glen C.
Who made'um for the rears of Originals?
Only one I've heard of or seen is this one.
43185.jpg

I have seen them using the belly mower deck turned rear mower on an OCC at a tractor show today, forgot the camera, so I dont have a pic for all to see, sorry. They used a half U joint on the trans w/ the reverser in the trans, or at least I couldn't see it - anyway it does exist.

Glen,
The question was.
Did anyone make a front mount mower for an Original?

As far as the one you saw today. Exsisting is one thing, we all know that many guys have done it, BUT, working and working right is a physical impossiblity. Speed being the keyword on a rear mounted mower, especially using a rear PTO and reverser. There's a big dif in 575 RPM's and 3600 from the front. ;-p
And yes I do own a reverser.
43189.jpg

43190.jpg

A while back I was supposed to get some measurements of the lift arm and flat forgot.
Anyway, Richard c. is gonna laugh at me for my cardboard rendition, but it's my first try!
I've got a BIG pic if anyone needs it.
43193.jpg

If only there was a Hydraulic operated PTO for a wideframe hydrostatic... fun to dream ain't it... Glen. If you didn't get my e mail charlie, I got the top most part of a w/f sleeve hitch from Ken Combs, Why'd you ask?

Steve B. Now that's one original costume there.
buttrock.gif

Charlie P. I do agree with the big difference between 540 r.p.m. on a rear pto. However, when you think of the big tractors with rear mowers and how fast the rotary mower blades turn that tells me that it is possible to make a rotary mower for a Cub Cadet with a standard pto. Use a gear reduction box in reverse order is all. I.E.... a 6 to 1 reversed would give you around 3240 rpm if I am figuring correctly. Also, I wonder why no one has ever made a rear flail mower like the old stalk shredders. There to get speed they used a bigger pulley/smaller pulley setup. I don't know... probably thinking off base like I normally do.

Joe W. I would guess the price to be in the range. We had a 12 hp block bored and crank turned recently and the machining was 100.00
A piston and connecting rod, new gasket set about another 180.00 I put in a new govenor gear and point set. Relap or grind valves and it seems to cost more every time I buy parts. We are fortunate to have our own pullers and torque wrenches.If we had to buy extra tools to rebuild the engine we would have the guy do it all for us.

Glen,
Would ya settle for an electric rear PTO?
43197.jpg

43198.jpg

Why do I ask?
Cause I'm NOSEY!
biggrin.gif

Marlin,
I agree with ya. can't say as I've seen anyone do the gear box thing though. There's a project for ya this winter, LOL

Roland, when you bought wire to do your tractor were you able to find #6 or#8 in the fine stranded stuff, or did you use commercial stranded wire as used in a factory. I can only find #10 in parts store. Thinking of Home Depot for battery wire.

Charlie. I've been wanting to build a rear pto mower for the 100 for over a year now. I'd need to get my welder and other stuff which is all located in a storage shed in eastern Iowa. My sons both have the keys and I pay for the dang thing. I think an actual three point critter would be neat. Of course then you're getting into building the three point for the 100 first. The flail shredder would be time consuming with getting the proper curve to the steel. I am sure there are many creative gentlemen that could build a couple of the above mentioned items for a rear pto Cub Cadet. (They could actually build three. One for you, one for me and one for themselves.)

One more thing one the rear pto. With the rotary mower one wouldn't necessarily need to worry about the counter clockwise rotation of the Cub Cadet pto.

Yeah, that would work, but that sounds rare, expensive, and almost impossible to get. I would be able to use a bushhog for my trail/tall grass mowing...
thumbsup_old.gif

I've noticed a tightening in the steering on my 149 over the last couple uses. In other words, turning the steering wheel requires more force. Could I be on the verge of seizing up my steering? As I refer to my manual and FAQ's, it's not real clear whether there's a grease fitting on the housing or not. I'm going out for a look...

Latest posts

Back