Archive through October 13, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, can't get the flywheel off my K301. Tried a harmonic balancer puller and a bar style puller. It's not rusty. I wonder if someone tightened too much. Should I try some heat? I have to replace the flywheel so if it gets damaged it won't matter.

Don A ,heat will work ,heat the out side first ,than hit the puller on the end and it should come right off ,i would keep the nut and washer on so it dont hit you .

1a_scratchhead.gif
Matt's back??? Am I reading this correctly? The lost is found! Finally landed your plane Matt? Nice to see you again.

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 114
Hey Mike... Matt's got 25 posts in the last 90 days... Guess who has made 1 post in the last 90 days.......
roflol.gif

(slow morning, don't even know why I checked, except as busy as Matt is, he does show up here with us oldsters more often than you'd think - and I respect what a teen age Cub wrench from the country has done with his life)

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 114
Hey guys, here is some info on another coil I have turned up. It's a NAPA/ECHLIN ignition coil...Part# 1C64SB..I inquired with the store owner as to the ohm resistance of this part number, he did not know off the top of his head. I spoke with him about the suitabilty of using one of these coils on a K301, as opposed to the 76 Chevy coil and he proceeds to tell me he's had one of the IC64SB coils mounted his 122 Cub for about 5 years and has had zero problems with his points while using it to mow his 2 acre lawn every week. My question concerning the internal resister peaked his curiosity, so he called up the manufacture (ECHLIN) and spoke with an engineer who stated the average resistance runs 3.8 to 4.2 ohms and is indeed a suitable replacement coil for Kohler K series engines that use points and virtually any other small outdoor power engines that also use breaker points without the need for an external resister. So..I bought one at the hefty price of 22.40 with tax. I figure the worst thing that could happen a set of points might burn up a bit prematurely.

I actually have a couple of OEM Kohler coils still mounted on a pair of good running K301 engines I have have set aside as spares in case I need one or buy a blown up narrow frame Cub for cheap. So I reckon if worst comes to worst, I can rob a coil off of one of those engines..

I also bought new set of Kohler points, a new push-rod, a new condenser(Kohler oem) and a new points cover and gasket..Also Allen headed screws for the points-plate, points adjustment and points cover. I hope to get all this swapped out on Sunday..

Regards and thanks a million.
John

John-The IC64SB is the Echlin consumer line and probably imported. A little cheaper than their top line which would be an IC64. When I worked at a NAPA store many moons ago I remember selling the IC64 for lawn and garden applications. They didn't even have the cheaper line back then but now a days a lot of people don't want to pay for the higher quality ( and priced) stuff and a cheaper line is needed. The IC64 is about $10.00 more.

Danderson...Do you suppose the IC64 coil is the same in terms of resistance as the IC64SB?

Thanks
John

If the Kohler condensers are a problem, how about coming up with a premium condenser too....

Latest posts

Back