• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 06, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work at a truck repair shop and I have seen trucks come in that the driver said turned over great yesterday but today will barely turn over. The techs have taken the battery cables off, picked them up by one end and watch the water run out the other end. You cut the cover off and the wire is nothing but green with corrosion. But it started fine yesterday!

Cub Cadet #21 has found its way to the McShane farm today. I get an email from a guy in Des Moines, he saw that I was featured in an article in the Des Moines Register with my Cub Cadets. He found my email, and told me he had an old Cub Cadet for sale. He listed what it had, and by the list...I thought "oh boy, he wants big $$$"...so I call the guy and BS a while, and I ask, how much you want for everything?? He goes...oh, ill take 200 bucks for everything...heres the list:

1962 Original-Runs...it had:
weights
chains
sleeve hitch
creeper
fenders
Danco snowblower
Original snowplow
mower deck
IH rear mount lawn rake
IH soft cab
Bolens lawn aerator
Original IH box with mower deck blades

Like any Cub guy would do, I immediately marched down and gave him 200 bucks for everything. A very exciting day to be a Cub Cadet man.
happy.gif

Ha, I cant say Im lucky every time... couple weeks ago when I bought that pair of 100's the one with fenders had a broken rod...come to find out AFTER I bought it. Ya win some, ya lose some...

My apologies Kraig, I suppose I shouldve searched instead of going off my memory. (obviously not as good as I thought it was
dunno.gif
)

Mike, Id suggest checking your wiring harness to the best of your abilities to check for chafing like you thought of and the issues Matt pointed out as well. Its amazing how picky electricity is, and how much power really runs through our cubs. My generator wire got so loose once while mowing it actually burned through the terminal end next time I tried to start it. Needless to say I check it and everything else regularly now to make sure all is tight. Ive also had a wire on my voltage regulator ground out against a spot on my fenders where the paint rubbed off and it smoked out the garage so fast, I had to replace nearly two feet of burned wire after all was said and done. Got lucky that the regulator was fine though.

Ryan, FANTASTIC score, truly one of the best deals Ive seen next to the feats Charlie is always pulling off. (Dudes got an IH horseshoe and rabbits foot...I swear...I dunno how he does it.)

i have a cub cadet 106 and im looking for people in virginia that might be able to help me with my restoration. As of now Im not getting any spark? Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Allen, check your grounds, all connections from the ignition switch to the coil, make sure the coil is wired properly (Ive made that goofy mistake before), make sure your points are clean and that the coil and plug are good. Proper point gap is 0.020" (average) on most K series engines. in my case my lack of spark was due to improperly cleaned (even though they were new) points and a bad ground on my coil. Just a general checklist I played with for a while until I finally got it fired up.

Ryan, you should be ashamed of yourself! Taking advantage of someone's lack of Cub knowledge like that. Terrible! Its just TERRIBLE that you and Charlie get those deals all the time. Just how do you sleep with yourself at night?
beerchug.gif

WHO CARES! I bet the guy who sold the stuff to you couldn't figure out why you loaded it so quickly and made so much dust when leaving at such a fast rate of speed.
Heck you probably had a driver and all with you to speed off with that STEAL!
Shift.gif
Man, oh Man!
Good job! Did you at least offer the guy another 25 bucks thinking his price was too low? I mean, Geeezz Louise! If only the guy had known.
shhh.gif

Mike P.,
Pull the sparkplugs and see how the engine cranks. If it cranks ok and maybe faster than normal your starter could be pulling too many amps under load. And it could be a decective cable as previously suggested. I can't remember if you or someone else had fuel leaking out the carb after the engine was cut off but fuel leaking into the cylinder(s) of a non running engine will cause a hydraulc lock.

Matt, Glen, Eddie,
First plan of attack I think will be to start at the battery ground, make sure its tight and clean, then go from the positive terminal through to solenoide and then from there to the starter checking the positive cable for any nicks, loose connections, anything NOT normal. Then from there I will see if any issues with my plug wires. THAT I hope there isn't any issues with, they were brand new last year and dog on expensive from Cummings. Darn Onans!
1a_scratchhead.gif

After that is checked out, I hope there will not be anything else to look at because I hope I have found my issue!
If I have to replace the positive cable running to the starter - what gauge of cable is it? Not really up on the gauge sizes, but want to make sure I get one that is heavy enough, guessing they are like around 8 or 10?? Incase I forget to take the cable with me or something stupid! It has happened before. DUH!

Mike P.,
Sparkplug wires will not affect cranking speed. It will affect whether the engine fires or not when the engine is cranked.

Mike- I probably should have had a truck, that way I could have had all of it loaded in like ten minutes, making the guy wonder... "gosh, should I have asked for about...oh 800 bucks more?" lol. Ill get some pics this weekend for you all
happy.gif

Ryan, nice score!
greenthumb.gif

Mike, disconnect the battery then use an ohm meter to check the resistance of the cables that are getting hot. I'll second Wes' mention of very corroded cables. I've seen that happen as well. The wire acts like a wick and sucks the moisture way up into the wire. The ends dry out but the middle corrodes away. I need to check the battery cables and some other wires on my #2 125...

I have an opportunity to buy a 50" deck that came off a 1863. Will it fit my 1450 or 782? What kind of modifications do I need to make?

Pressure washed the 1450 I picked up and getting ready to try to start it, after replacing the oil, filters, etc. It's been setting in an overhang for about 4 years and is not in good shape. I've been thinking about pulling the head & do a carbon clean-up & check everything out.
Anything else I need to know or do before I crank her up?

Norm- Id make sure you got gas and spark and fire it up. Obviously check your engine oil. Start it and see how it runs before you go through the work of pulling the head off. My .02. If its using oil and smokes youll know right away what it needs
happy.gif

Back