• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 29, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboelens

displayname
John Boelens
Got a basket case 73 today. stuck exhaust valve. got that freed up and a new head gasket. got spark now. and carb was leaking fuel so I rebuilt that. now as soon as I turn on gas on sediment it will start to dribble out the front of the carb. tried a different float. double checked to make sure float isn't hitting inside of bowl. with bowl off, held float up and down and new needle and seat working like it should. I am horribly torked off right now - usually don't have these little issues. tried resetting the power screw on the #20 carb. only way gas doesn't flow is if its all the way turned in. Seems like I still have a float/seat issue unless im overlooking anything. Any ideas before this thing goes kaboom?

It does start and run up until about 1/2 to 2/3rds throttle then it either acts like its flooding out or starving for gas.
bash.gif

John the problem may be a crack in the needle valve seat, gasket or there is trash in the line (elbow) at the carb.

Nice Score Don!! Another engine too? WOW! You REALLY are going to be out of room sooner than later. Planter looks good, plates even look good too. What did he have for Cubs in his shed or was he selling them off too and getting out of them?

Don't think you will be using the planter anytime soon though, at least not around here. Got between 8 - 9 inches of snow the other night, first snow storm and we get blasted good - VERY white around here now! Snap'n cold the past two nights too.

Sorry to hear you went deer hunting with your truck, worst part of it I am sure, you didn't get to bring anything home with you for the freezer.

Luther, I replaced the needle and seat and gasket when rebuilding the carb kit. I'm stumped.

Mike P

I got the last of his Cub parts . He did have 12 at one point he told me.He has a nice shop with a 80 z28 t roof and a 4x4 diesel tractor with front end loader.

We have white ground and cold here today also. Just a broom to clear the walkway though lol.

I opened up the deer and it was a mess inside paunch was broken so I left it there. I bet just a hind quarter would be all that could be saved and that was not worth the mess .

John B:
Look at it this way - it's gotta be the float, the needle or the seat.

Old float? it may have a hairline crack in it. Dry it thoroughly, spray some foot powder on it (Dr. Scholls or the Walmart equivalent) and shake it.. if there is a crack, the gas will show through the powder where it's leaking.

Gasket OK under the seat? It'd be pretty bad to start leaking immediately...

You say it's a new needle - make sure the tip is clean and no rings in it.

Float level too high?

Or just an assembly problem.... if it's got a spring in the float arm, make sure it's back together right.

I usually turn a newly rebuilt carb upside down and blow through the inlet to make sure the float is loose and the needle is seating OK. Gotta love the taste of carb cleaner or 87 octane in the morning..........
aaaa_tongue2.gif

Needle moving freely and resting up to the seat.. are you sure it will stop the flow of gas? Sometimes these Needles just don't seat right.
As Luther mentioned, take out the Fitting going into the carb, lots of sediment can sit right there and drop into the Seat/needle area.
Does your Float.. float?

Yep - everything said works perfect. did a float test on both floats today - both good!

I did find the problem! The vent hole from the base up into the power screw top was plugged solid with crap. cleaned that out, double checked al parts and it doesn't spew gasoline everywhere. still have a little rsetting on the power screw and the air/fuel since im sure I messd those up - but it runs!

Saw this while on a service call on the back of a 1460 combine during harvest season this year. I had to take a pic....

265070.jpg

And this was todays project! worked out good till I broke the belt.
265073.jpg

Johnny B,
I have to get going on the very same thing now that the weather is getting a tad warmer. Going to the International Harvester Collectors Club Chapter #2 dinner tomorrow so it will have to next week

need some help i have a original with 6x12 tires looking for bigger ones more tractor looking ones
that would fit on my original rims, what size can I use. stan}

I'm betting 8.50 ags would fill the bill. Maybe someone can post a pic of 8.50's on the 6" wheels. Then you'll need tri ribs on front, ya know.
happy.gif

Stan, The 8.50's would be best for you on the Original even though 8.50's we never offered though IH. I'd keep a eye out for the correct rims though, you can find them pretty cheap. If you were closer I'd have a set if rims you can have.

someone told me i should have post my thing on want ad and not the forum just to let everyone know i'am very sorry for that...stan}

This is a pair of Firestone 8.50 on rims for 8.50 tires.
265080.jpg

Back