• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 29, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbuttke

displayname
Lonny Buttke
Robert.

The mini spare rims are off a Pontiac grand prix.

Robert.

Another thing you will need to get if you decide to go with the larger rims is different lug bolts as the orginal lug bolts heads are to small and will fall through the holes.
I ended up getting longer lug bolts and useing lug nuts on each bolt.
70859.jpg

You will also need to add lenght to the front spindles.
I used a Cat.1 to Cat.2 bushing as seen here
70862.jpg

Rodert.
The dragster rake would not be good for the motor as these Kohlers use a splash oil lube system and to much rake will move the oil far to much one way.

Another thing you need to watch out for is after you put the taller tires on the rearend the tractor gets to be vary tippy on uneven ground and high speed corning is just an accident waiteing to happen.

Are there any other types of rims that I could use for temp mock-up purposes such as the pontiac mini spare?

Tim

Yes. there a lot of different rims out there that will work, but I can not locate the list I had of what fit.

I was able to use a 5 hole 12" ultility trailer rim on the rearend of the cub as seen here in the photo below.
70865.jpg

Yes I know its on the front end of the cub in the photo. The bolt patern is the same as the front spindle from a cub low boy 154 which is what is holding the trailer tire onto the front of the cub seen in the photo.
I have a multitude of different tire/rim combos I can use on my cubs depending on my needs.

Thanks Lonny,
that may help me in continuing with a financially challenged rebuild.

Charlie - Ya can stop yer damn snow dance unitl I have my snow fleet ready!!!!!!! I don't have anything ready for winter duty other than the cab on the 1450 that is gonna see blade duty!! Still have to get the 1864 acklamted to our nice MN winter temps since that is gonna see the 451 on it!!! I hear a snow shovel calling my name to move this white crap
sad.gif
sad.gif

Hugh,

Let Charlie snow dance all he wants, we could use at least a foot of the white stuff over this way befor the ground freezes down any futher.

Besides I am all geared up for snow removal, got the plow on the 100, QA-36 snow thrower on the 127, and the 3235 is sporting the 48" snowblower with the 54" blade leaning against the wall.
All are chomping at the bit waiteing for a chance to get out and play in the snow.

Lonny that would be fine but I've been working 12+ hours a day for the last 2 months and haven't had the time to get my snow fleet ready like some of ya!!! I still have a 1650 sitting in my garage for a friend that needs a new cork gasket on the hydro and a front engine seal on the engine and that has been there since July so does that tell ya how far behind I am on my cub projects due to working at the local coop soil service center?????

Gang: ever since a little tyke I have held a wrench in my hand working on our old H, M's, 300 ect cars, trucks, Cubbies. It never stops amazing me what PO's do to somewhat make something work.

Got the 1650 (GUS) home last night from the kids having to hand push it on my trailer. Why, because it wouldn't start. Found the solenoid is bad. Ok, decided to fix some other electrical problems starting at the battery. When I bought the tractor I noticed the PO had wired up a different clamp for the pos. side. All taped up so I never checked it.

What I found is the attachment the person made to the wires was held together by a hose clamp no electrical connector just a hose clamp tightened to hold 2 different set of wires together. It worked for awhile.
bash.gif

So while I wait for parts its off to fix the snowblade. Bought this snowblade in 1979 it has been on a 1450, 782, 1863 with restructure to each of the different tractors now I got to revise it back to orginal. You just never know.

Pops

Pops/Roland,
I'll admit I've used the 'hose clamp' fix on a battery cable before....and you said, Pops, "It worked for a while." The "fix" will work fine as a temporary fix.
I've even run a screw into the clamp to tighten up the connection... but this too is only a temporary fix.

The problems arise when folks don't follow it up and make the permanent fix (with a new battery clamp end or whole new cable with ends).
Instead, they forget about it or simply let it go only to leave the clamp stay in place for weeks/months/years.
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

One year for X-mas I bought Dad a NICE big BUCK Knife pocket knife....about a 5" locking blade. He carried it for about 4-5 months and then that spring I was out plowing with the 4010-diesel....one of those miserable things made in Waterloo with a 24V starting system. This tractor burned about five quarts of oil for every tank of fuel....so after about 3 hours Dad would run out to the field and bring Me a snack and two quarts of oil....We'd cool the tractor & shut it down....add the two quarts of oil so I could finish the tank of fuel.....and one day the &@#%$ thing wouldn't restart....Dad drove the biggest blade of His BUCK knife between the battery post & clamp and I hit the starter and the connection ARC'd thru the blade and vaporized about half the tip of the blade off the knife. After that We were BOTH a little more careful about battery maintenance.

Charlie-
What do ya do then.....Wrap the entire Vise Grips in electrical tape to keep everything from arcing on the frame?
err.gif

My usual version of getting REAL desperate with a "quickie" electrical connection is to actually use those 3M tap-splice connectors you seem to get in every 12Volt electrical accessory you buy now adays.
70873.jpg

Jeeze, who was the rocket-scientist who came up with that idea for a connector?
screwloose.gif
I HATE those things!
bash.gif

Hugh-
Quit your whinnin'.....
happy.gif

YEA!!! BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!
beer2.gif

Dennis - <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Dad would run out to the field and bring Me a snack and two quarts of oil....<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
What weight of oil goes good with snacks ?

<font size="-2">guess that's one way not to get constipated from peanut butter sandwiches</font>
chef.gif

Lonny, do you by chance have any detail photos of the Cub Low-Boy spindles on the Cub Cadet? Did the spindles fit into the Cub Cadet axle, or did you do some cutting and welding? If you posted them in the past I can go look through my archives but if you have photos handy that would be great. TIA.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back