• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 27, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to trow a little gas on the fire.

I am using the Autolite platinum plug AP26 in my (1982) 682 with a KT-17 series I engine. Stock coil and stock plug wires. I have had little in the way of electrical problems since I went to this set up.
I plan on doing a Captain Kirk Bosch dual coil upgrade in the future.

I think I have Autolite 27 plugs in my 782.....but that's from memory.

For the record, I HATE Champion plugs, and avoid them at all costs.

Reading Tedds post, maybe they are 26's...either way, their not Champs!!!!!!

Spark plug gaps do have a bit of leeway, but too narrow a gap will result in a small spark, which may not properly ignite the fuel. Too large a gap and the coil may not have enough voltage to fire the plug, particularly if it is fouled at all. Most small engine plugs are in the .030 to .035 range, though some older magneto systems sometimes speced a .025 gap, while newer electronic systems may have gaps over .050. Over time, the electrodes tend to wear down, increasing the gap. If the plug sets over a valve or piston, a much larger than normal gap could very well be "corrected" by the action of the valve or piston. This is also the reason why you need to be careful about what type of plug you use, a plug with an extended nose or longer threads may very well interfere with the moving parts inside the engine.

Denny-
Thanks, my governor indeed moves by hand, but it takes grasping in two fingers. If I've got to replace things, no big deal. It's not going anywhere soon, the chassis is almost 400 miles away still. . . . .but I'd like to get it home soon, I know somewhere I can finish painting that lays down a LOT of red paint!

Thanks Charlie.Is a LFH the same as a BFH, only bigger?
crash.gif

talking of sparkplugs on my 106 has origial wire and changed the plug once .took it out to look at the plug and broke it.the 106 startes on the second turn any time . that the south dakota weather i guess.

I think I've changed plugs twice in 21 years in the 129 (once after I got it and not long ago after about 500 hours on the "crate motor" I put in in '96.) When I compare this to the handful that we go through in a summer of "fairground crusin'" Cushman Scooters, you get to see (and appreciate) the difference between a battery/coil ignition and the older flywheel mag setups. Even with replacement (Mikuni) carbs set up to run clean on the low end, the old 6 or 12 volt Wico or Phelon mags just don't have the fire. I agree with Steve B. also - we've tried just about every brand of plug that crosses to the OEM plug, but keep going back to Autolites in the scooters.
BTW - Dennis - here's another view - you can see what goes in through the big door, but actually the middle door is part of the main 30 x 40, so it has the same 14 foot ceiling. I put an 8 foot Jib boom at the top of one of the internal posts with an 880 lb. capacity HF winch on the end. This swings a full 180 degrees so I can pick stuff (like my cub mower deck) up and put it in the loft. I'm looking at post hoists (don't let my wife read this), but I'll have to get a job after I retire to pay for it. Right now the barn is more storage than workshop, as I'll have to insulate it. I have a 22 foot square garage right behind where I'm standing that's the current insulated /heated workshop. I'm looking into the spray foam insulation for the barn.
46194.jpg

Here's where the 129 used to live..dirt floor - now with a concrete floor, I'm trying to teach it to wipe it's feet - we live in black muck country.
46195.jpg

Spark Plugs anyone....
Lots of opinions but here is what

Cub Cadet Says:

46205.jpg

46206.jpg

46207.jpg

46208.jpg

And from the FAQ, what CC Supply Room says:
46209.jpg

Myron B

For the unitiated, The first one is CYB...Not a misprint...That is the initials for the Cadet Yard Bug RER!!

Myron

Latest posts

Back