• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Thanks Tom-

No shortage of heavy grass here. I could run it for several hours and still have plenty left.

There you go, problem solved. I've heard before of breaking in a engine the best way to break it in is to run it like you would in normal conditions/sitiations. True/false???

Hey all - curious what folks may use for breather block filter material on the old k161s. Considered using steel wool but not sure about it. I know they're available new but gotta be a suitable home remedy or so I would think. Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend.

I was taught that you work the snot out of them for 30 to 45 minutes, and keep it bumping the governor which is what I've done on any that I ever did.
258828.jpg

Terry D.
I've heard of guys using the old style Scotchbrite scrubbing pads. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you use the thin ones.
They are more dense than the OEM filter material, which might plug up quicker if you have any blow by at all.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Charlie - thanks for the info! Sounds good to me - gotta be better than the nasty mess I pulled out.

Narrow frame PTO clutches don't seem to last as long as they used to---
I have been using and servicing my 6 70-127 Cubs since about 1980 and I have replaced a few PTO clutches. But in the last couple of years, they have not been lasting as long. They start to slip in a only a season or so. Finding real useful info and hints about them is very hard. I have spent hours goggling and looking around on youtube for really good info. There are a few threads here and there, but the authors seem less experienced than I am.
Things I'd like to know:
1. How to test the rebuilt clutch. How much static torque should it take to break in loose on the bench?
2. How bad can the pressure plate be and still be reusable? One guy said to dress it back to a "smooth" surface with 80 sandpaper. Is this correct? Should the same thing be done with the clutch pulley's driven surface?
3. It is okay to dress the clutch disk back to its stock surface? (80 grit sandpaper seems to work here also, is that okay?)
4. How thin can the clutch disk be and still work acceptably? A brand new one that I have in my hand is 0.177" thick.
5. Any hints to add?
6. Belt width: I can buy 1/2" wide and 5/8" wide belts to go from the PTO to the deck from many places where they SAY they are the correct part number -----489-R2, I think, but they never last. Have the rest of you found this to be true? Do you always go back to the "original" 3/8" wide belt in a cub Cadet sleeve?

In trade for any info, I do have a narrow frame cub cadet page the might have a hint or two:
http://www.spaco.org/cub.htm

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Did a little repair in the 109 today. The mule drive pulleys needed replacing. One was completely seized. Had some spares on hand and was back in mowing business pretty quickly.

No movement on the 126, still need to adjust the throttle pivot tension - thanks everyone for the tips on fixing that.

Next week the 126 will join the 109 on camp mowing duty. Lots of grass to mow and usually every other week. I'm impressed with two things about these IHCC's. One is (so far) the mule drive belt will not slip in the tall grass and two - it is amazing (to me) how the tired 10 hp engine on the 109 w/44 inch deck plows through the grass with apparent ease and based on my first mow with the 126, how easily it handled a full 48 inch deck of grass. It makes me wonder if a lot of $$$'s can be saved over time in both tractor purchase cost and gas mileage with these 10 and 12 hp tractors - yet still get the job done.

Pete S.
I'm no expert by any means, but I do average sending out on average, 17 rebuilt PTO's a month.

1. No need if you use the adjusting tool provided in the rebuild kit.
2.A clutch is a clutch is a clutch. No matter new or old, it you rebuild it, BOTH surfaces have to be dressed, You gotta get rid of the hard spots and the heat dips and the gunk. 80 grit is good. (Pics below).
3.Same as #2
4.NOS disc are 3/16" thick.
5.A lathe and or a 6" wide belt sander are 2 main tools in resurfacing a PTO to get a good crosshatch pattern.
6.There's only 2 GOOD belts for our Cubs, OEM and the Stens Blue Belt. All belts are not created equal and also not made to be twisted and run across mule drives like Cubs do.

It's dang hard to take a good pic of these things, LOL
258834.jpg

258835.jpg

258836.jpg

Pete S.
I went to your site and saw that you didn't find a solution for loose steering knuckles.
Do a search here for "taper pin", and yes use the double quotes.

Today is Memorial Day..... Thank you to each and every Veteran that has paid with part of their life to help sustain the freedoms we all enjoy..

258840.jpg

So a little over a week has passed since I bought a used 3 point for the 122. The other day I came across a deal on a brinly 10" plow and sleeve hitch adapter. I won't tell what I paid but it was a steal!! So now I'm filling my tires with ww fluid and I found a great way to do it and wanted to share. Remove the shraeder valve, Break the bead just above the valve stem on one side. Take a 2 gal weed sprayer and remove the sprayer from the hose. Put the hose over the valve stem on the wheel. Set the tire up so the valvestem is in the 12 oclock position. Fill your sprayer back up and put the pump back on. Pump it up and let it go. It fills them in no time and if you already have the sprayer it doesn't cost anymore than the ww fluid and a little time. I figure ill end up with about 50 lbs per tire. Hopefully when it dries up a little ill get to try the brinly out.

Well leave it to me to leave out that you will have to pump the sprayer back up once in a while, but still beats the other ways I've tried. Like I said just thought I'd share

To Digger:
Thank you for your help with the PTO clutch.
Regarding your note about the steering knuckle, I quess I better revisit my "Cub" page, since I have had a page up about that taper pin solution since 2002:
http://www.spaco.org/loose.htm

Thank you for the "heads up". I see that I rebuilt that page's navigation bar years ago, but I left all those links at the bottom!!! Shame on me!!!

By the way, I am now getting a new kind of pressure spring, one without the bent ears. Are they any better or worse than the older style?

Happy Memorial Day to all

Thank You to all that have given there service to our country and those who have given there lives. God Bless

258843.jpg

Pete S.
The 2 spring PTO's are better than the singles IMO.
You can't put 2 springs on a single spring PTO though.
There's nothing to keep them from spinning. And yes I see guys try that all the time and they end up breaking things in the process.

Just wanted to say thank you to all past and present military personnel.

The rims for the project tractor are done and I mounted the 5.70-8 tires on the rims. That was a PITA, but the <u>REAL</u> pain in my M
censored.gif
F
censored.gif
A
censored.gif
is mounting the rear ATV type tire. These are the ones that arrive in shrink wrap and are all distorted. MAN, what a F
censored.gif
B
censored.gif
those things are to seat. Looks like I'm going to have to borrow one of those "Blast Tanks" to get 'um to seat. I F
censored.gif
HATE working with tires. Anyone have any tricks to share??

Thanks to Mike Masheris for doing the aluminum Oxide powder coating on the rims. I didn't booger 'um up to bad.

I also got the grill and air cleaner cover from the chroming guy.
258853.jpg

And thanks to Mike for the decal!
Now to spen some serious time on it and "Get-er-Done"

Latest posts

Back