Archive through May 24, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading Nic's notice of his upcoming pulls I went to his website and read the rules.

One Question? In what case would you utilize a torque converter on a pulling tractor? Specially when the classes are limited to 16hp?

Thanks ahead of time,
Matt

Not to give out any great ideas... But one could use a snow mobile style torque convertor (belt drive) in place of the drop down belt drive to the jack shaft on an Original. The torque convertor varies the pulley sizes based on RPM and wheel speed. It would keep the engine right in its power band and never bog down at the end of the run.

The only limit being belt traction of the convertor itself.... But snow mobiles can run 100+hp so finding one that can hold less than 50hp should be easy.

No one has yet to ever run one in our club, but we are not opposed to it. If one could figure it out and tuned right. It would be cool to see. We keep it simple and cheap. We had a great time friday night, check back in this week for pictures and videos. 4 new tractors this season.

And BTW... if you read the fine print. It's not limited to 16hp. It's limited to 16hp OEM rated blocks. It would be silly to try and govern a hp catagory. Most guys are in the 20-30 range. And we limit to 8hp blocks on the small end because the performance parts aren't there. It takes real creativity to get them to run with the 16's. And they do. Our last 2 tractors in the heavy 1200lb pull off was a w/b cub with a K181 and a full custom tractor with a twin cylinder 16hp Briggs. They ended up less than 3 feet apart.

My sons 128 with 16hp and 18hp cam has broke 2 carriers in less than 20 hooks, looking for any tips to make the next carrier last a while. Thanks Jed

Are you running the old style coarse spline axles and carrier? Or the later style fine spline axles and 2 piece carrier?

The later 2 piece is the way to go. And the added strength of the fine spline axles nevers hurts. If I remember correctly the major difference is the axels bearings at the end of the tube. The old ones are 1" and the later are 30mm, requiring a bit of machining to get in the bigger metric bearings.

I believe you may be able to switch the spider gears to run the old axles with the later carrier.

My opinion is to just find run a spool. Midwest supercub sells a steel spool and axel kit for $330. I bet you won't break that.

Alot of clubs don't allow a "locked" rearend in stock classes. Also, there is two sizes of fine spline axles. The early ones are one inch and fit into the older axle tubes without any mods. You can tell the difference by which axle they came out off. The smaller ones were in octagon shaped tubes while the big ones were in round tubes. The splined part is the same size on both. The larger ones "bell" out and get larger just past the splines.

In my on-going search for a new dependable supply of 26x12x12 tires, I was shown these by a good friend (who only lurks here...)

http://www.taylorindustrialtires.com/Construction_Trencher_Tires.html

Unfortunately they are only available in 8 ply. But there is alot of rubber there and most of us don't need tires that will wrinkle the side walls.

There are also a few left here...

http://www.smalltires.com/store.cfm?action=Products&subaction=List&StartRow=1&CategoryId=da3bdecf-8106-4084-885a-f36b5eed6e13&Size=12&TotalSize=26-12.00-12

And that's for clarifying the axle comparison. I knew there was a catch in there. It looks like I really lucked out with my new puller chassis, It has the later fine spline/2 piece carrier with octagon tubes! but I plan to run a spool. So they might be for sale soon.

More tire info.

I have learned today that Titan Tire accquired all the assets including the molds of the Denman Tire corporation I was so proud for a few months back. No word yet from the sales dept if they are going to reproduce the 26x12x12 ditch digger.

But searching through the Titan Corp catalog I found the Titan Tru Power is still available in our size and I was really excited to find the Goodyear Super Terra Grip HF-2 still being made by Titan. I have word out at a local tire OTR dealer for pricing. But looks like we may not be S.O.L. just yet.

So far still available are:

Titan Tru Power
Taylor Industrial Trencher RG
Taylor Industrial Stomper
Goodyear Super Terra Grip HF-2
Carlisle Tru Power
Vogel Manufacturing TT
Duro AG
Cheng Shin

Breaking Driveshaft Rollpin.

Upgraded to Aluminum clutch & Stainless steel shaft with coupling into creeper gear. The first pin in the coupling kept working out. So I tack welded the ends of the pins just to put a wide spot on the ends. It lasted longer but then sheared both ends with center still in shaft.
It looks as if the coupling and the driveshaft have a slight angle differance. Measured about an 1/16" wider at spring end, 4.5" from coupling. Using the plane surface of both.

Thanks Gary C.

I been poking around for a taller tire for my 12" wide rims. I've found some 28" but when I talked to the factory guy he said that was on a 7" wide rim. Back to the drawing board.

Does anyoen know of a pulling club or event in the Chicago suburbs?

Can I put a KT17 crank in my M18? P.O. cut crank off for a different app.

Thanks Jed

I have posted on a few other sites but this topic has been dead for a while so I thought I would liven it up with my newly built turbo diesel puller.

Finally had some time to download some photos and videos of my first pull. I haven't looked at the rearend to see what broke yet but I'm guessing it was the pinion.

First run wih 16 tooth second;

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/oMtphC_xgpQ
Not enough load on engine.

2nd run the track was still dry so I jumped to the 26 tooth 3rd gear.
It ran pretty good but didn't caught on video.

3rd run after they watered the track-way more bite!

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/rrdOLgKb0c8

4th run dropped back to second. Still not enough load on the engine. I had turned up the pressure on the water pump. Since it was going in and out of boost, I assume the water is causing it to miss. Then something broke in the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/IHeS8EBNE1M

Definetly have some work to do, but now I know what direction to go on some things. Needs more water for sure. Hit 1800 on the one run.
Needs about 22 to 24 tooth gears with the power its making now.

196321.jpg

196322.jpg

196323.jpg

Thanks for posting the Videos and pics of your tractor.

Would you post some pics of your turbo setup ?

Not quite what I expected. I never heard of anyone breaking a 2 pc carrier before.
196392.jpg

196393.jpg

196394.jpg

Seems that ring gear didn't like the boost.

Good luck with the fix.

Latest posts

Back