• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 19, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank S,
I'm thinking those temps are a tad hot. As I recall, 425-450*F near the sparkplug at full throttle is normal. Hot oil temps should be in the range of 210-240*F. How long has it been since the carbon was scraped off the piston and inside the head? Maybe the carbon has built up and raised the compression and temps. As I recall, the manual recommends scraping every 500 hours...?
It is commonly advised to allow 2-5 minutes of no-load cool down time (at 3/4 throttle) before shutting the engine off. If the exhaust POPS loudly when you turn the key off, you didn't give it enough cool down time.

Just my 2 cents, RWilke
coffee.gif

FRANK S. On your temp question, if the engne was just idling then YES, WAY too hot. If the engine was just at full load then yes, maybe just a bit hot. DAVE KIRK instrumented his Killer Kohler K301 last summer when we discussed this but I can't remember exactly what he saw, but think it was in the range Ryan said, 425-450 deg.

On your PTO clutch, you really can't tell anything by just looking at it. Pull the clutch, and the pilot bearing has to be FLUSH with the end of the crankshaft, then the clutch installed all the way so the retaining ring is against the outer race and the setscrews hold it to the bearing.

It does take a while for the new friction disc to break in, new ones are "Fuzzy" and tend not to release 100% of the time. My 129 was the same way. I either had to hold the lever back further than it latched, or idle the engine down then stab the throttle wide open.

Kraig
Many thanks for the mower information, the manual reference and helping with the parts lookup. My apologies for the slow response, I was "off-air" for a few days. My mower is presently dis-assembled but I would guess its a 42 inch. It had small stress fractures around some bolt holes which I have welded and the sheet metal is ready for painting. My idler pulley is not on a pivot arm and suspect it has been "customised". I do not have belt covers either and may make them up. I know of one other original deck of the same vintage here in South Africa and I am presently exchanging detail with its owner.

I have also discovered that MTD is again respresented locally and I may be able to source blades from this agent. The new (flimsy) tin, Red MTD 13.5 Hp with 38" deck sells for the equivalent of US$3,200.
Thanks again.

PTO -
I did make sure the pilot bearing was flush with the end of the crankshaft. I followed the instructions in th service manual.
I am going to assume it is just new and needs to be broken in.

Engine temp.
sorry, forgot to mention, it was just worked hard when that temp was taken. probably the hardest it can be worked.
30 minutes in two foot tall grass after a week of heavy rain.
I just bought the tractor, head gasket blew. when I pulled the head I saw the carbon was recently cleaned. apparently by someone not smart enough to do the head gasket at the same time.

thanks, everyone, for your help.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Dawid Johannes Louw (Dlouw)
The new (flimsy) tin, Red MTD 13.5 Hp with 38" deck sells for the equivalent of US$3,200.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

HOLY GRASS CLIPPINGS, BATMAN!
a_blink2.gif
jawdrop.gif
screwloose.gif
yikes.gif

That sure makes these ol'Cubs look like a bargain!
RWilke
coffee.gif

Charlie, Don T, thanks both for the input, I did check it but it still kept it up so I did what I should have done at the time I was doing the overhaul, When disassembling the valves one of the valve rotators was missing some of the ball bearings and I replaced it with a regular keeper, yep you guessed it "if it comes out of the motor you better put the same piece back in: must have something to do with the spring tension and the valve opening this was on the intake side. Dennis Frisk had told me to make sure to have the one on the exhaust, well I should have put them on both. I'm no expert but I'm still learnin,Hopefully we all learn from each others short comings. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Frank. Those are the ones.

I had a wierd one this afternoon. I was mowing at my M-I-L's and started hearing this noise that I hadn't heard before. Metal to metal sound and then I could smell overheated rubber and/or oil burning.

I stopped and raised the hood and then noticed sparks blowing onto the generator!!! I raced for the trailer and brought it back to the shop. I found the bolt from the generator adjuster arm had backed out and was dragging against the pulley!! I had to pull the pto and loosened the pulley to slide it away from the block. I had just enough room to get a new bolt in! The head of the old one was trash!!! Took about 30 minutes to actually repair and then back at mowing yards.

Am looking for the build date code encryption for the original Cub Cadets.I thought I saw this somewhere but can't seem to find it now. My SN is 11149. I thought this translated to July 1961. At the Little Guys Show in York today I met a guy with SN 11800. He thought his was built in June 1961. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Frank; I had a pto on the 149 that would not shut down. The tech at IH could not find the problem , the answer was the little springs on the clutch bolts were bad. Put new ones in and pto stopped right.

Back