• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 18, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan C. May: Glad to hear you got the 14 HP Kohler going with the new stator --who would have thought a miss was caused by a weak stator? Certainly not my first candidate!

Regarding the PTO Switches in a 782 vs. a Quiet Line model; and while Nic had a bad experience mixing the two, judging from the schematic, there appears to be little difference between the EARLY 782 PTO switch and the Quiet Line versions. However, starting at S/N 720,000 (manufactured by Cub Cadet Corporation, I believe) a Reverse Relay with a NC Reverse Switch was added to the tractor's wiring. This change was accompanied by a new 3-position PTO switch. The third position was momentary, and used to "Start" the PTO. I've copied just the Switch Legends from the Wiring Diagrams off the Main Forum Page, as well as Roland Bedell's "Fancy Colored Diagram" of a 3-position PTO switch. I believe his terminal "E" corresponds to the terminal "F" shown in the legends and on the Wiring Diagram for the LATER 782 series.

When viewing the legend, remember that one of the functions of the PTO switch is to complete the circuit to the starter solenoid when it is in the OFF position, while passing power to the PTO when it is in the ON position. The momentary contact functions, I think, to pull in the Reverse Relay, which the Reverse Switch then keeps latched. (I'm assuming the black wire to the PTO itself, shown in the wiring diagram for the later 782, is the Reverse Relay's "Common" terminal.)

286671.jpg

I apologize in advance if this post crosses the boundary between IH and CCC/MTD material, but the question kind of leads in that general direction.

Note: All the information contained in this post is available -FREE- elsewhere on the Forum.

A little a seat time for me. On Sunday starting @ 10am I started plowing what is going to be more yard. Got the 782 on the brinley greased and oiled. When I started it was a little rough and tough dirt. But got my headlands struck and plowed for a few hours. Then started on it with the tiller. Got the tilling done last night and plowed some more till 11pm. Here's what I learned and done. Ground that hasn't been plowed since the dawn of time is hard going. Old pastures have many a treasures buried. Had a few problems like. Carb had to be cleaned on the tiller cub rocks and rope and old wire are not fun to get out of tiller. Broke a tie rod on the 782. but all in all my past 2 days I have put over 16 hours n a seat of a cub. I'm a little sore but was very peaceful. Will try to get pics up soon. Jim

Doug, the light switch should be a bare aluminum housing, though it could have over spray.

286673.jpg

UNDER EDIT: IF you are asking about the one that Art has for sale, that is the correct factory setup and switch. Yes the switch has a bit of over spray on the switch body. The knob should also be bare metal. Someone has painted the knob at some point during it's 40+ years of existence, should be easy to strip back to bare metal.

Doug
I simply run my light switches under the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I have the stone wheel on one side and a brass wire wheel on the other. It will clean up like new. Wire wheel the terminal screws it they are still screwed in and carefully loosen the screws on ones that have been sitting around for some time. I've seen those screw tabs missing from being forced to hard.

Regarding Dan Mays post and others who have commented on the pto issue; I've ran into the wiring harness coming partially unplugged causing the same condition. Be sure that the plug is fully seated to the switch and is not being pulled back down by the wiring harness itself.

Dan M.

Sometimes I've had that happen on my No. 2 782 and I have to flip the switch on and off a time or two to get the starting circuit to close. Also verify that the wiring harness connector on the backside of the switch is fully seated on the switch terminals. Also, cleaning the connector and terminal contacts can help too by blowing air on them to remove dirt that accumulates over the years may help as well.

I have a switch I cleaned up and yes, I saw the picture. The switch works great. I used it on my 1250 when I added lights to it until I got a wide frame switch. Getting ready to redo my Dad's 122 and thought I would ask. Thanks

Charlie's FAQ #20: What are the Specs for all IH made Cub Cadets?

How come the Quiet Line are not listed?

Latest posts

Back