• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 12, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Allen, she knows better than to suggest one of those cheap things. I can build something from scratch better and cheaper. Well, cheaper until I get carried away with the design and size.
happy.gif

18" bar on saw. Not looking forward to splitting these:
151790.jpg
construction.gif

anybody own a husqavarna 455 rancher with 20" bar I am buying one tomorrow. hows yours work

Jeff, I have a Husqvarna model 51 with an 18" bar that I bought new back in 1992. I heat with wood and have cut a LOT of wood with my Husky. Two semi loads of slabwood and 3 or 4 semi loads of 8' logs and countless trees. That's probably 30 or more cords of wood. So far I have replaced the bar, the clutch and the rubber anti vib bushings and of course many chains. It still has the original sparkplug in it and starts and runs great. My brother has a model 55 which is the same saw as my 51 only with a slightly larger displacement. The 455 Rancher is an updated version of the 55. *If* my 51 ever dies I plan on buying a 455 Rancher.

thanks kraig i have a 16" husky and also heat with wood outside this was my first season and now i find i need more than the 16 inch. i am excited about trying the new saw 325$ refurbed with 2 year factory warranty from dealer. also we need pics of your new splitter in action.

Jeff; My brother has a 455 Rancher. I ran it some and it done great. It didn't have the low end torque of a 45 Stihl, but probally shouldn't have. I think you will like it.
Luther

<font size="+2"><font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica">STIHL</font>
fence.gif
clappy.gif
</font></font>

10 year old 365 Husky - we've cut all of our wood for the house (we've heated with wood for 30+ years)... With a sharp chain, it throws chips like it's snowin'.. Sounds like a motocross bike when you start it. It's King of the Mountain (check my profile pic) Wooo Hooo!!!!
draw.gif

well i bought the 455 20 inch 325$ with 2 year factory warrenty cant wait to take from bothe box this weekend. I will need about 4 cords a year for heat.
proud.gif

Allen:
Believe it or not, by myself, one piece at a time. They're only about 20" long (splitter limitation), so the biggest don't weigh much more than a hundred pounds. I roll 'em up and over or whatever it takes.. (local inside joke with the next door neighbor - "it's my hobby")..

My 365 came with an 18" bar (not sure why they weren't putting a larger bar on that size engine). I've considered going to a 24" (it'll handle up to a 28"), but I've got 5 loops to wear out first, and I'll have to finance the loops and bar when I change..
eek.gif

While not action photos, they are after action photos, close enough. Now I have some more stacking to do...

152395.jpg

152396.jpg

Still more to cut, split and stack as well.

152397.jpg

Kraig, with all the labor involved, cutting, splitting,stacking, as well as cost of splitter and 'sheds', is it really cost effective as opposed to propane or fuel oil ??
<font size="-2">People around here burn wood because they think it a neat thing to do. At $125 a half cord!</font>

Chuckle - I'm waiting for <u>your</u> answer to that question, Kraig...
clappy.gif

Allen, definite yes! It's much cheaper then a membership to a gym, and call me crazy, but I actually enjoy the work.
dizzy.gif
Besides, I don't have a propane or a fuel oil or a natural gas furnace, I have a forced air ELECTRIC ($$ to run) furnace and a wood furnace. The house had both when I bought it back in 1992.

Allen, here is some of my numbers normal winter with out wood heat i would use 1500 to 2000 gal of propane @ 2.40$ a gallon --with my out side boiler running and using it only for heat i use 125 gallons of propane from oct to may. i heat 3000sq feet of living space a 2 car garage and my domestic hot water house is 74f garage 55f my 9000$ investment in wood heat should take 3 years to pay its self off. and best of all i havent had to pay for wood (farmers dont like trees)

Allen:
In 35 years, I've bought three chainsaws, probably 30 chains, about 10 bars, a large indoor furnace, a good box stove, the outside furnace, built a splitter and a wood hauling trailer for the Cub. I have to clean the chimney, haul all the ashes and maintain the furnaces.

For the past 30 years, we've heated about 95% with wood, figuring between three and four federal cords a winter. Most years, the wood has been scavenged locally (meaning the 129 has hauled it from the woods), with the exception of three half semi loads (10 cord loads) and one local purchase of three grain trucks full of gnarly oak.

In the old days, I had help splitting, but for the past few years it's been pretty much a solo effort to cut, haul, split, stack and feed the furnace.. Money? - who the h.ll would figure savings?? - IT'S OBVIOUSLY MY HOBBY!!!!
bash.gif

BTW - I like a warm house and not having to depend on the power company in the winter (light that old inside Johnson 9900 up and gravity circulation keeps the place toasty).

Wow, thats a bunch of interesting info for a 'city kid'. Here in residential New Jersey we have a large natural gas supply available. But in other parts of the country I can appreciate other fuel sources.
Jeff, keep up the good work, didnt realize how much propane cost or how much one could use.
Kraig, gym fees!
thumbsup.gif
..I also understand electric, I'm paying about 18cents a KWH here. Kinda curious, how much did you pay for that trailer load of logs??
Kendell, a professsional logger at heart, with an I T background. Sounds like an interesting life. Did you ever watch 'Ax Men' on History channel??(Discovery chnl?).

Latest posts

Back