• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike My son did the same thing to his 582 at our local GT pull in the 1500 lb class. He also won the class. It didn't give up till the end. Kent
Thanks Steve for the great information. Your a wise man even when it comes to green. You were right, it was a 332. kentW

Dave, Kraig and Aatay:

Thanks for the all of your feedback -- I'll have my work cut-out for me this weekend. I'll report back on Monday!

Thanks!

EC

There isn't anything wrong with that 3pt. that I can see....remember, it's a 982 so it has the Super 3pt. with the lower arms that bend out wide near the attachment points.

I think Mike just has them hanging there because he had to remove them to access the rear end/axle housing, remember, they bolt to the lower axle housing bolts.

Hi Digger- Yeah, could be, but the shear point is quite a ways from the end of the splines... like the shaft was halfway out of the carrier pinion when it twisted off... or it was fractured, and wound up and kinked before twisting.

Steve- what's your opinion of that break?

Here's my opinion, lotta weight + 20hp + "plowing hard" = broken weak link
lol.gif

26x12x12 Stones with 7-1\2 gal CaCl + 2 26# weights plow all the way down pushing the hydro lever to see what it would do .I would have thought the one on the right in the furrow would break but it was the left one.Alot of play in the spline of the side gears.Have a almost new set to go back in just need some good axles.The only thing that held the wheel on was the disc brake caliper.

Axle Break:

**** Happens!!!

Here's how it works, if you tie anything down to the ground well enough and add enough power parts WILL break.

Post failure analysis?????.......yup, it's broke real good......

Good news is that disk brake axles should be in ready supply and they are easy to change.

(Actually, deep down I kinda hope my planned 14hp wide frame gear drive has the nuts to twist one off.....reminds you that you are really getting some work done
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

Mike's axle reminds me of a 4586 that dad installed an 855 Cummins in.

The 4586 has the "lighter" bull gear rear ends out of a 10/1486 2wd tractor. Dad installed the 855 after the original IH V-8 shot craps. Dad warned them about using their heads when pulling it hard, as it had much more power/torque than it ever had from the factory and the drive line was near it's hp limit (heavier model (4786) had the planetary gear rears (1586)).

Farmer used it for a year or two, then decided to make some $$$ with it in the off season pulling a disk on a highway project. Loaded it up with fluid all-around (dual 18.4 or 20.8 x38) .....and proceeded to shuck a rear end......Hmmmmmmmmmm, wonder why?!?!?!?!

Dale C.: The 1oo mule drive won't work on your Original. You will find out that most items on an Original aren't intrchangable with the other 7 HP CC.

Matt M.: Those diamond treads were on some 6-12 rims. I don't know who made them.

Mike, I've seen that alot over the years in pulling. pretty common. thats why we run Darty or Pintop stuff. the carrioer coming apart is alsio very common. putting a bolt through it in place of the pin or wraping it helps alot.

Mike's incident reminds me of the sight I saw after the first WFM Spring Break in 2002. This was blocking most of the road to my house and seeing as I had the camera with for taking photos at WFM I figured it's just one more JD to photograph. :eek:)

18713.jpg

18714.jpg

18715.jpg

It was only a couple hundred yards from my driveway so I kept a close eye on it and was ready with the camera when they hauled it away with a CAT payloader. Too bad it was getting dark.

18716.jpg

Matt "D",
The diamond tread tires were on some of the original prototype photos. Not sure if they were used in prodution or not. I had them on the 590 tractor. You can still get them, but they are just a bit different due to the "directional" grooving in the tire pattern. They are made by Bridgestone.

Tedd,
The Case/IH Steiger/Quad-Trac is the happing thing right now in the mass earthmoving arena. The floatation is great!!

Question guys? Will a snow blower attachment off of a 1450 fit a 782? New to this cub cadet stuff. I just wanted to make sure it would fit before buying from a friend. It looks like it will fit to me.

Terry, I believe it has to be the QAxxB version to fit. The "B" version has curved upper links to clear the forward sloping grill of the 82 series.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on May 13, 2004)

Back