• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 08, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<font color="0000ff">was all right on level ground but when I went up any hills (even slight hills)it would start to misfire</font>
That sounds like float issues. You might ought to see if it's set correct or if it may have a pin hole in it letting it sink a little.

I need to get ahold of Leo K. from Two Rivers,WI. If anyone has his info please let me know. Thanks....

Scott, You are having the same problem. I have a 129 I rebuild and it's having the same problem.

Welp,
Rolling and air-aiting lawns this weekend = Cub money again.... Yea!!!
Just want to see what the brain trust has to say on this. Stinky (682 Series I KT-17) will not restart after a 20 minute or longer run untill it has cooled down. If I pack the coil in ice, I can get it to restart sooner. This leads me to believe that the coil is bad. I plan on ordering one Monday from the neat little colored boxes at the top.
happy.gif

Fred/Scott,

Does it runn better/longer on partial or full choke???? Can you coax it back to the garage on full choke????? These are great indications of fuel related problems.

If it will run another 30 seconds longer on partial or full choke it's fair to say that you are starving the machine for fuel.

I have had "mystery slime" (looks kinda loke hytran slime, but in a fuel tank) completely plug up a sediment bowl. Later models with the standpipe/screen on the shutoff valve are more immune to this.

Anyway, as always #1 FUEL, #2 valve, coil, etc.

Tedd:while you are running does it quit then won't restart or after you run it you shut it off then will not restart? if itys the first I'd say coil , but if its the second I think you just have a compression problem , my guess would be bad valve sealing. the coil for those engines will blow your socks off so make sure thats what you need. last one I priced was around $110 or so from kohler if I remember right. your best bet would be to check spark when it don't want to start.

Well with all this carb talk what about a 7 hp that will not idle? Will run fine all day at half throttle but anything lower it stumbles and dies. Time to rebuild the carb? Thanks Kendal

I didn't realize that the coil was that much!! I will check the spark the next time (tomorrow afternoon) I run it and it won't start. This is why I asked. I thought that he iceing of the coil and starting in less than the normal three hour wait was a give away...

(Message edited by till on May 09, 2004)

I have a quick question about the mower on my 125. The model is a 38A. What is the width? I am not a Cub guy so the obvious answer to me is 38". The mower is not at my house so I can't go out and measure it either. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Next time I cut the lawn I'll try to choke test first. The 169 is my backup lawn cutting tractor. I have a 129 with a tired engine (my Dad bought new in 1973? all original excellent shape)that is my lawn mower. I'm in the process of installing a used (recently rebuilt) 14hp that I bought from a sponsor in it. Hopefully it will be ready to turn the Gators by then.

THanks again

Scott

Tedd,
Make sure to take some pix of your "spark test". If it's anything like my 'ol man did to me when I was a kid, should make you hair stand straight. I'd love to see your face if it does have spark.

Tom, he could spend $15 and get a inline spark tester like I did. It is the easiest and surest way to check if there is fire going to the plug. I wish I had bought mine years ago.

but they still light up even with a bad condensor .. . at least mine does. For that reason I charge up the condensor and let it sit a few minutes then take a volt reading to see if it's holding the voltage I put in.
and for GAWDS SAKE if anybody trys it , DO NOT charge them with 110vac like I read years ago in the briggsandstratton group in yahoo. Those little suckers will explode with AC since they aren't made for 110 AC.

Tom -- I sold a tiller to a guy once and he was in his 50's. He brought it back a few months later to see why it wouldn't start. I had put a new coil in it once but I thought it might be bad again so I pulled off the plug wire and told him to hold it. Since he was up in years I thought surely he knew better and he had even rebuilt a few V8's so I thought he should ... he held it , I pulled ... nope that's not the problem ! I laughed my A$$ off
roflol.gif

Scott M.,
I use MMO in all my gas, mix it when I fill the 5 gallon jug up. I've rebuilt a few engines with sticky exhaust valves. I'd also check under the exhaust valve for carbon. Sometimes when they stick they like to get buggered up with carbon on the seat. If you have the time, take the exhaust valve out and run a 5/16 reamer through there to clean it up. Kenny

You guys that use MMOin the gas what formula do you use thanks

Loaders on Cubs.

18626.jpg

This one is a Kwik Way "Kwik Tach".

18627.jpg

This one is a Johnson.

18628.jpg

I think these are all Kwik Way loaders.

18629.jpg

This one is a Danco.

That should be enough.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on May 10, 2004)

Gang:

Did International have a particular Font they used for the lettering on their equipment? The Cubs Cadets don't seem to have a consistent Font.
Reason I ask, I'd like to letter a homemade trailer. Any suggestions?

confused.gif

Rob,
It says it on the bottle, I converted and use 60ml to 5 gallons of fuel, which is about 2 oz. to 5 gallons. That's what I've used for years. Kenny

Back