• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 01, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay but here is the info on the reamer and tapered pins to fix the steering arm on a NF. McMaster-Carr part numbers are 98390A372 for the pins and 2990A25 (straight flute) or 2990A55 (spirol flute) for the reamer. If you want to get them locally, ask for a number seven taper pin hand reamer. The pins measure .360” at the small end, .412” at the large end, and are 2.5” long. You may have to run an 11/32" drill bit through first to get the reamer started. You then use the reamer to ream the hole till the pin fits good, then beat the pin in with a BFH. If you need to take it apart punch the pin out the opposite direction. The reamer and a pack of pins cost less than one new spindle and arm, and you will have enough to repair multiple tractors.

Carey-
Thanks for the compliment. She's a "looker", but only after putting her make-up on. You should see her when she first wakes up! LOL!
happy.gif

Anyway, the fenders were a factory option which means an original is "correct" either with or without them. Be aware that they are different than the fenders from any of the later "narrow frame" tractors like the 100 Kraig just pictured below. Check with sponsors/watch the classifieds for a set.

Curtis-
It shouldn't be an issue, but be cautious using the fuel tank from a model 73 on your cub. Some 73's came from the factory with a rectangular shapped tank. (Which is a different tank than the one that comes on a 10hp engine.) Basically, you're looking for the only oval steel tank that came on a cub.

Art, thanks for the added info on the model 73 fuel tank, I had not heard that.
blush.gif

Thanks fellas for the tank information and emblem information. I collect big IHC tractors and am darned tired of seeing my wrongly ordered parts pile getting bigger and bigger.

Good evening fella's, Heres a couple shots of the 682 I picked up earlier today
83457.jpg

83458.jpg

83459.jpg

It came with the 50 inch deck(bottom) and the PO threw in the deck on top. Anybody have a clue to what size it is, it is larger than my 38 deck?

Gentlemen:
As a man of my word, I sold my JD314 "Greenie" Hydro with expectations of using that $$ towards an Original Cub
BUT
that $$ seems to have been spent already on 2 clump birch trees, an autumn blaze red maple tree, an autumn purple ash tree & 360' of sheep/goat fencing & cedar posts.
Apparently, life as I knew it...is over.
Troubled Tom

Awhile back, someone posted a fix for the covering of the electric PTO clutch coil deteriorating and falling off. It had something to do with using epoxy to cover up the exposed coil. I couldn't find anything in the archives, anybody else remember this? Thanks!

Todd H.-

Nice 682. I had one of those. That other deck is a 38" deck. Is that a series I or series II engine?

Thanks Matt. I don't know series I or II? All I have found is the air cleaner cover says Magnum 18, does that mean anything other than 18 hp?

Todd,

You have a replacement Mag 18 engine (you can see the oil filter in the front pic of your tractor). It is basically a KT-17 series II engine (Kohler Twin) with the following (very important) upgrades:

Full pressure lubrication for the cam and rods (Series I KT-17 motors had splash lubed rods). The early Series I KT-17 motors earned Kohler a very bad reputation due to premature rod failure from under lubrication caused by mowing hillsides. Many very good tractors by several manufacturers (IH 682, 782...Deere 317.....Several Simplicity & AC models) also suffered bad reputations due to the Series I Kohler engines installed in them.

Oil filter.

Magneto ignition (not necessarily an upgrade, but different).

Some Mag's had adjustable main jet carbs, some didn't. The adjustable KT type carb is the desireable one.

While some people have a dim view of the Kohler KT and Mag series of twins, the only real sour apple is the KT Series I (only partial and low pressure lubed). The KT-II and Mag series of engines are good strong runners and last as long as any other well maintained small engine.

I have a KT17-II in one of my 782's and a Mag 18 in the other, both are very strong and reliable performers. You will be quite pleased with the M18 in your 682 and if you get that 50" deck all tuned-up it will make a very nice mowing machine.

Thanks Steve. I was thinking the Mag 18 was a replacement, all of the 682's I found on the cub ID page listed only 17hp's. I hope to get her running in the next week or soo...

Todd,

FWIW, the KT17 and Mag 18 have the same bore and stroke, valves, manifolds, carbs (usually) and therefore the same rated power. My "butt-dyno" tells me that the KT-17-II in one of my 782's actually seems a bit stronger than the Mag 18 in the other. Don't expect a power boost because of the extra "1 hp", but it'll have plenty of power to mow and plow.

Steve B. My "only 17 hp" remark was meant that from what I had read OEM 682's came with 17 hp engines. I am sure that my "butt dyno"
err.gif
will reveal the Mag 18's power compared to the only other cub I own a 128.

Todd,

I knew what you meant, just wanted to let you know that it's an "equal" replacement, even though the name suggests otherwise.

In my opinion, a 149 and a 128 have about the same felt power on a hard drawbar pull, due to some of the losses in the hydro.......but a Kohler Twin in front of a hydro is a stout combo...lots more PTO power for mowing, and a good margin more drawbar power as well.

A quick comparison, from early 82 series literature.

12hp Kohler single: 22 ftlb @ 2800 rpm max HP @2200 rpm

16hp Briggs twin: 25.8 ftlb @ 2800 rpm Max HP @3350 rpm

17hp Kohler twin: 26.4 ftlb @2800 rpm Max HP @ 3400 rpm

19.9hp Onan twin: 30.86 ftlb @2800 rpm Max HP @3200 rpm

Steve B. I agree with you on the drawbar power 149-128. And I agree with you on my 682 having more PTO power/drawbar power compared to my 128 or a 149. Also, you are correct even if there was a true 1hp diff between the IIKT-17 and the Mag 18 could ya really tell. Even so only slightly in my opinon. This is my first twin cyl cub, so I hate to say this but I am green on these .

Good info on the torque ratings, thanks

hey jim you aparently didnt read where i said that i still have yet to use a hydro cub.
as far as using greenies i was raised right and was taught to stay away from them right from the start

Curtis, FWIW the Original uses the same hood ornament as the 60's era <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> tractors, I believe the 806 has the same one. Not sure but it might even use the grill emblem as the larger tractors.

Todd,

The Butt Dyno can't tell the difference between the 25.8 and 26.4 ftlb on a 582 vs a 782, but there is the hydro factor there.....however, the jump from 26.4 in a 782 to 30.8 in a 982 is substantial and very noticeable. The 30+ ftlb in the 982's Onan is a BIG step, especially getting off of one and right onto the other.

Any way you slice it, I think you'll take right to that 682, the red tractors are very nice machines!!!!

Kraig,

The chrome pointer wasn't used on the 806 or 1206, they had a big cast lug on the grill housing, but it was used on the 240,340,404,504,544,656,706,756.

The white plastic IH was used on just about everything from the 140 through the 56 series, all of the 04's, 06's, 56's, etc.

Steve, I almost wrote "656" but I was thinking it was on the older series. Thanks for the correction. I should have known better
blush.gif
I spent many hours on my cousin's 656 when I was younger.

Latest posts

Back